cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS: Peer received reset from end host

jim.heuton
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeing a bunch of hits for "Peer received reset from end host" on all of my WAAS devices (mixture of edge NM-502s and WAE-512s, with a core cluster of WAE-612s) when I do a "show stats tfo" in WAAS 4.0.13.

Does anyone know if this is really a problem or a normal statistic? If it's not a problem, any idea what kind of number would constitute a problem?

Attached are a couple of examples from two of my edge 512s immediately after I cleared all counters. I also noticed that the stat "No. of connections closed with error" is always very close to the other "Peer received reset from end host" counter.

Any idea if these would be related? Does Cisco have any WAAS documentation that describes all of these fields?

Any insight would be appreciated (before I open a TAC case)!

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Jim,

These counters simply indicate that a TCP connection was closed using a RST (as opposed to a FIN). This is normal behavior for some applications. For example, Internet Explorer closes its TCP connections using RST. I usually advise customers not to concern themselves with these counters unless they are experiencing some type of problem.

Zach

Great! Thanks for the quick response! I'll keep an eye on them in the meantime. Do you know if Cisco has published any documentation that describes all of these counters and what types of network activity can cause them?

Let me answer my own question. I just noticed they release a command reference for 4.0.13 and it explains all of these fields in there. Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: