Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS policy question

Tahir Ali
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a small question about WAAS policy regarding remote desktop.

Why do we by default only do TFO for Remote desktop and Why not the DRE and LZ.

Also is there a way i can maximize the Remote desktop performance as my client wants POC for only remote desktop optimization.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Tahir,

The policy choice is because RDP traffic is encrypted by default. If you disable encryption on the client/server, you can adjust the policy to full optimization and gain the benefits of DRE and LZ.

Regards,

Zach

View solution in original post

Is all of the traffic coming in on the tunnel? If so, then the tunnel interface is where WCCP should be applied.

Without the WAFS services enabled, you would be using DRE caching. You need to configure WAFS to benefit from the CIFS object caching. If you do not enable WAFS, WAAS operates purely at the TCP layer.

Zach

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Tahir,

The policy choice is because RDP traffic is encrypted by default. If you disable encryption on the client/server, you can adjust the policy to full optimization and gain the benefits of DRE and LZ.

Regards,

Zach

thank Seils. My other 2 questions are

1) If we have a wan with GRE over ipsec tunnels, than can we put the " ip wccp 62 redirect in" on the WAN interface and "ip wccp 61 redirect in" on LAN interface? ( assuming the basic scenario)

If we "CAN", then on which WAN interface shall I put the 62 service, the "Tunnel interface" or the "physical interface" ( serial , fE etc)? or both?

IF we "CAN'T" then why is this so?

My second question is that i have a data centre which is central and branches on the other hand...do I have to configure WAAS integration with file servers to benefit from disk caching or we can utilize disk caching in a plane point to point scenario with default application policies applied?

1. On software-based platforms (ISR, 7200, etc.), WCCP can be applied inbound to the tunnel interface.

2. There are two types of disk-based caches in use by WAAS. The first one is DRE, which caches "chunks" of TCP segments, irrespective of the upper layer application protocol used. The second is the CIFS object cache, which is used in addition to the DRE cache for storing objects (directories, files, etc.) accessed on origin file servers in the Data Center.

Zach

Thanks..

Is it only the tunnel interface or both physical and tunnel?

in my scenario if i access a sharing on the branch using \\branch-server.....without making the core/edge scenario....which type of caching will be used ? As far as i have tested i get that traffic as WAFS.

What if i want to benefit from the cache services with CIFS without registering as core and edge WAE services which I found more efficent.

One last question is that if we dont want file prepositioning and locking features then do we still have to register our WAE as edge and core and do we have to integrate them with our file server or can it be done without it?

Is all of the traffic coming in on the tunnel? If so, then the tunnel interface is where WCCP should be applied.

Without the WAFS services enabled, you would be using DRE caching. You need to configure WAFS to benefit from the CIFS object caching. If you do not enable WAFS, WAAS operates purely at the TCP layer.

Zach

yes i have a single tunnel with all traffic incomming....

Well i hope WAAS 4.1 doesnt have these WAFS related configurations and everything will be automated? :)

Thanks Zach...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Tahir,

The  policy choice is because RDP traffic is encrypted by default.  If you  disable encryption on the client/server, you can adjust the policy to  full optimization and gain the benefits of DRE and LZ.

Regards,

Zach

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zach,

I can see the compression setting in the .rdp file, so no problems changing that. You stated setting up policy on the wae to take over the handling of compression / optimization. Any chance please you can expand on this a bit more?.

thanks in advance

Ajaz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: