cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Printing...

p.stavrinou
Level 1
Level 1

I've set up WAAS printing services for a client. I'm facing the following problem though...

When the clients are logged-in locally, printing services are working fine at the branch offices. But once they are logged-in on the domain, i get a msg saying that a policy is preventing them to print on this printer.

Correct me if i'm wrong but, this has to do with the WAEs Print servers not being added to the Active Directory. I haven't found in any documentation how exactly to do that. Do u just add the WAEs with their NETBIOS names as machines in the AD? Also, the hostnames differ from the NETBIOS naming convention that the client wants to use in his domain. Cisco says that Netbios and Hostnames should match when the devices are to be added in the AD. Will it cause any problems if i just rename the WAE hostnames to match the Netbios names desired?

Thanks

Panos.

30 Replies 30

Zach,

We have an issue again. We have added some new print servers in the network but when we attempted registration we got the msg in the attached document. Also, we attempted to unregister a device from the AD through the CM GUI, but the device does not unregister from the AD. Since we are using Kerberos for authentication, isn't this process supposed to remove the registration/addition of the WAEs from the AD where they were added as computers?

Panos.

Panos,

Can you resolve the domain name from the WAE:

dns lim.tepak.int

?

Zach

Yes Zach. I can resolve the DNS name from all WAEs. No dns issues here since i can resolve all the printer names as well.

Panos

Panos,

Can you please try running the following command and sending me the output:

script execute wdd.sh.signed ads LIM.TEPAK.INT

where and are the credentials used for registering the WAE in AD.

Thanks,

Zach

Zach,

Can you provide any details on what this script will actually do? The client has concernes if it will affect anything on the AD domain controllers?

Panos

Panos,

The script just runs some diagnostic commands on the WAE. It should not have an adverse effect on the domain controller.

Zach

Ok Zach thanks. Will run it and send you the outcome.

Panos

Zach,

Sorry for the long delay. The client had some delays in running the scripts. Anyway, i'm attaching the outputs from 2 WAE print servers.

Panos

Panos,

The output ("Cannot find KDC for requested realm") indicates a name resolution issue. Can you verify (again) that forward and reverse lookups for the domain suffix work?

Zach

Zach,

Name resolution, both forward and reverse lookup, is working fine. The strange thing is that although we are getting these msgs, the printing feature is working just fine.

Panos

Zach,

Attached are some error msgs i'm getting on two of the WAEs print servers. Are these related to the printing service or not?

Panos

Panos,

This means that some process has crashed and restarted. The crash file is written to the local1/core_dir directory. Can you send me a copy of that file? From that we can determine what the process was.

Zach

Zach,

The only file under the local1/core_dir directory is the one i'm attaching. I hope it's the one you requested.

Also, is there a chance that these crashes will be fixed with the new 4.0.17 software? In understand there have been issues with 4.0.15 and has been withdrawn(although we're running 4.0.13). Thanks.

Panos

Panos,

I don't see any existing defects for this issue. Can you reproduce the crash?

Note: To remove the alarm from the CM, delete the file from the core_dir on the WAE.

Zach

Zach,

This crash has not impacted neither user experience with WAAS nor the printing services. They client has not reported any issues with either of these. The statistics on the CM appear to be normal with good acceleration values.

Deleted the files on the appliances and will let you know if this issue resurfaces. Meanwhile, i will upgrade to the latest 4.0.17 code. Thanks.

Panos