cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Printing...

p.stavrinou
Level 1
Level 1

I've set up WAAS printing services for a client. I'm facing the following problem though...

When the clients are logged-in locally, printing services are working fine at the branch offices. But once they are logged-in on the domain, i get a msg saying that a policy is preventing them to print on this printer.

Correct me if i'm wrong but, this has to do with the WAEs Print servers not being added to the Active Directory. I haven't found in any documentation how exactly to do that. Do u just add the WAEs with their NETBIOS names as machines in the AD? Also, the hostnames differ from the NETBIOS naming convention that the client wants to use in his domain. Cisco says that Netbios and Hostnames should match when the devices are to be added in the AD. Will it cause any problems if i just rename the WAE hostnames to match the Netbios names desired?

Thanks

Panos.

30 Replies 30

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Panos,

With these types of policies in place, the WAEs providing print services will need to be joined to AD domain. You can use the following instructions to accomplish this:

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v4013/configuration/guide/admin.html#wp1042876

As far as the hostname you use, we do recommend that you use single hostname (DNS and NetBIOS) for the WAE. You can change the hostname of the WAE to match the desired NetBIOS naming scheme.

Zach

OK Zach, will give it a shot and let you know on the outcome.

Zach,

We have gone through the process of registering the WAEs in AD. We have created two groups in the AD with Global user scope, with the group names matching the ones entered in the fields under General settings>Windows Domain tab. In realm field we entered the fully qualified domain name, the domain controller name as key distr. center and the fully domain name of the domain controller in the domain controller field. Upon entering domain admin credentials and waiting a few minutes, the registration process failed with an error msg on the popup status window saying : "No registration record was found." Any idea what the problem might be?

Panos

Zach,

Just a couple of more things to the picture...Attached is a log from the debugging msgs i've been getting during the registration failure, as well as a screen capture with the domain settings screen. It seems that we're having a problem with the Kerberos authentication during the registration(kerberos_kinit_password limadmin01@LIM.TEPAK.INT failed: Cannot find KDC for requested realm [2008/01/11 13:51:01, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(191) ads_connect: Cannot find KDC for requested realm) Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Panos

Panos,

Don't worry about configuring the group names -- you don't need those for what you are doing.

In the configuration, the realm should be just the DNS suffix of you AD domain -- lim.tepak.int in your example.

Zach

Zach,

Thanks for the tip :) The registration was succesfull and the users can print on the WAE print servers now.

However there are a couple of questions raised:

1. When you press the "show authentication status" button i'm getting the msg in the attached image. Why's that?

2.When new WAE will be added in time, this procedure has to be manually repeated for registration right since the credentials are not saved on the CM? Will this have an impact on the already registered devices if they belong to the same group(i.e AllDevicesGroup)?

3.Regarding the CIFS optimization, is there any way that you can display information about cached objects per filename?

Panos

1. I'm not sure. Let me look into it and report back.

2. It shouldn't, but let me test to confirm.

3. Today this is not possible.

Zach

Ok Zach, will be expecting ur feedback. Thanks again for your prompt replies.

Panos

Zach,

Added another WAE for print services. It runs 4.0.7.b.46, will be upgrading to 4.0.13.23 tomorrow. Registration is sucessfull and i can see the device in the AD. However, i cannot print on the print server. Attached is an alarm i'm getting on the device. Could this be gone by upgrading the device or do we have any sort of h/w issue? The hdd on the module appears to be healthy.

Panos

Panos,

I would need to see the crash file to determine what happened. Can you check in the core_dir directory and see what version is used in the filename? If it is something before 4.0.13, just delete the file and let me know if it happens again after the upgrade.

Zach

1. The last authentication status is saved to a local file on disk. It looks like when the 'Show Authentication Status' button is used from a device group the file isn't created. I'll following up with Engineering on this.

2. Looks like the registration happens again. I'll follow up on this as well.

Zach

Zach,

Have upgraded the version to 4.0.13 and upon reboot the msg was still there. Oddly, the CIFS accelerator was working but still had issues with printing. Problem was resolved after switching the module with another router. Printing now works as well. So i consider the problem being solved :)

Just please get back to me on the authentication status msgs since the client would like to know what causes these to be displayed. Thanks.

Panos

The alarm won't go aware until you delete the file in the core_dir directory.

I'll let you know what I find on the authentication messages.

Thanks,

Zach

Ok Zach. Will be waiting for your feedback. Thanks.

Panos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: