does anyone have an experience to use 37xx router for WCCPv2 redirection to WAAS? Any problems with CPU utilization? Which methods did you use for forwarding and return traffic?
To ensure WCCP hardware support and functionality, you need to follow the following configurations:
- Ingress redirection only, and must be a layer 3 interfaces (with IP address)
- Layer-2 redirect, Layer-2 return should be configured on the WAEs.
- Mask Assign (can use custom mask)
- Redirect-list (ACL) is supported, but deny statements in it are not supported in hardware except for the implicit deny.
- SDM template must prefer routing to enable WCCP TCAM support.
- Recommend looking at 12.2(46)SE or later for encountering the least issues with WCCP features.
Hope that gives you some pointers. I have deployed WCCP for WAAS on many 3750s.
Thanks for the reply. However, I think you misunderstood my question - I was asking about 37xx routers - 3745 and 3725, not 37xx switches (3750).
I have used a quite a few 3745s, however keep a eye on the CPU. For lower bandwidth redirection it should be able to handle the load. It will depend on how many other services are you running on the platform.
Thanks for the info.
I have few sites with 3745 routers, WAN BW is 15-20Mb/sec - will it fit?
Those routers don't do too much other than BGP and QoS...
I did some testing in a lab with a basic 3725 running 12.4(15)T5 a while ago with a very basic config. We saw the CPU impact from 8 Mb/s @ roughly 20% CPU to 20 Mb/s which rose the CPU to 40%. Going to 40 Mb/s shot the CPU up to almost 90%.
I would keep a VERY close eye on your CPU as my box was doing NOTHING else except forwarding traffic and redirecting for WCCP with no redirect-list or anything.
Hope that helps out.
I had two WAEs registered with two 3725s. The routers had redirect-in on LAN/WAN and no WCCP redirect-list (ACL). The WAEs were configured with negotiated-return (gre).
The traffic was all generated via Spirent Avalanche at different traffic levels. However, it was generated traffic (same connections over and over again) and of course the optimization was really good! :-)
You just mentioned that you have implemented WAAS with 3750s (switches). Do you have a configuration example that you can share with me? Thanks.
I have an WAE7371 connected to a 3750 switch (as the router) running IP SERVICES 12.2.50SE. Is this a valid scenario?
Yes, your scenario is valid.
1. SDM Template has to prefer routing, if it doesn't WCCP won't work (sh sdm prefer).
2. Redirect-list - deny keyword isn't available except the implicit "deny any any" at the end.
3. "Redirect in" only on interfaces, "redirect out" and "exclude" commands are not supported.
4. Register the WAE to the L3 address of the interface (seen as x.x.x.x below).
5. WAE has to be L2 adjacent to the switch (or multiple switches).
wccp router-list 1 x.x.x.x
wccp tcp-promiscuous router-list-num 1 l2-redirect mask-assign l2-return
wccp version 2
Hope that helps,