cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAE Buffer Sizes

richianaj
Level 1
Level 1

I recently read an article on the best buffer sizes (optimized and original) to configure a WAE device for based upon its model type. I have several dozen 502s within my environment, but have just noticed that my buffer size setting is applied to all devices based upon the settings within a global group. So all devices (502, 512 and 612) have a buffer setting of:

Optimized - 8192 KB

Original - 512 KB

My question is, am I impacting the performance of the 502 and 512 devices by having such large buffer sizes - they all seem to be running OK. Is there a command to get some insight into this. Should I create a seperate group for buffer settings, which I'm happy to do, but I really want to know if this is a bad thing, as I guess a higher buffer setting is good for data transfer if the WAEs are also performing well with it.

Thanks

Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

I would remove that setting from the device group. Do NOT set to 0 or enter a number and submit as it will re-push the new value you enter! Just use the "Remove Settings" icon (looks like a garbage can) and then each device should revert back to it's default setting. Don't hit submit after use the icon, just navigate away and check the devices to ensure they revert back to their defaults.

Your current setting maxes out the TCP buffers for the optimized connections and may impact your overall devices ability to scale when a larger number of connections are run through it. The default buffers are determined by the amount of RAM in a system. Default settings are usually enough for most WAN links, however they can be set larger for pipes with extremely high latency (intercontinential usually).

Hope that helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

I would remove that setting from the device group. Do NOT set to 0 or enter a number and submit as it will re-push the new value you enter! Just use the "Remove Settings" icon (looks like a garbage can) and then each device should revert back to it's default setting. Don't hit submit after use the icon, just navigate away and check the devices to ensure they revert back to their defaults.

Your current setting maxes out the TCP buffers for the optimized connections and may impact your overall devices ability to scale when a larger number of connections are run through it. The default buffers are determined by the amount of RAM in a system. Default settings are usually enough for most WAN links, however they can be set larger for pipes with extremely high latency (intercontinential usually).

Hope that helps,

Dan

Thanks Dan, that worked as suggested. I'll monitor the overall network performance to see how the lower buffer size effects it.

Regards

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: