cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAE Management

san.carlos
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at purchasing/deploying 2811 WAAS routers on the WAN. It appears that a dedicated WAE in manager mode would be needed if management is desired.

Is the management WAE really necessary. Configuration can be completely done via the CLI, at least it appears that way. So what is really lost when not having the manager gui?

Maybe I am clearly missing something here.

CS.

8 Replies 8

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Carlos,

The Central Manager is required for production deployment. It functions as a key manager (disk encryption, secure store, etc.), configuration manager, and reporting platform.

Zach

Thanks Zach,

So is it possible to configure the WAEs from the CLI for WAN optimization without the manager?

CS.

Yes, it is.

Zach

Zach,

is it possible to use 2811 with NM-WAE and CM on central site or I need to have appliance and CM, I went through the posts but couldn't find definite answer.

Mariusz

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot use the Central Manager Mode on a NME. It has to be enabled on an appliance.

Dan

Hi,

my question was rather :

do I need to have 2 WAE appliances on central site (one acting as manager and the other as acceleration appliance) or

1 WAE appliance acting as a CM and NM-WAE on 28xx acting as acceleration point is fine.

Is it really necesary to have 2 appliances on central site , or it doesn't matter what device will act as an acceleration point ?

Well it sounds to me that an appliance is needed to manage and an NME on 28xx for application acceleration is fine.

In addition to Maurisz question, can any WAAS appliance platform manage any of the NME/appliance platforms?

TIA.

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your central site will need an appliance for the CM and if there are more then 1-2 edge sites, I would highly recommend an appliance for your accelerator. That way you don't artificially bottleneck your traffic with the NME not having enough horsepower to keep up. A NME-522 will not work with the 28xx (only 38xx) and a 502 running 4.0.19 is rated for a max of 4 Mb WAN link with 500 total TCP connections. It also cannot run Core CIFS services.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: