Views
Helpful
Replies

WAFS 3.5 with Microsoft DFS

antonios
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance. We have deployed two WAE-511's one core FE and one edge FE.

The core FE is configured as the central manager. The branch router is configured for WCCP and is redirecting all CIFS based traffic to the Edge FE.

The trouble I am having is that on the central manager, I add my DFS root to my list of CIFS servers and I am able to browse the shares from the Central Manager.

WCCP appears to be working on the branch router yet none of the CIFS based traffic to the shares hosted off the DFS root are getting cached.

If on the central manager I point to the specific shares themselves as opposed to referencing the DFS root the caching starts working and everything works as it should for about an hour, whereupon all folders under the DFS root share disappear. If I disconnect the WAFS device at the branch, my DFS shares reappear again.

Does anyone know why this would be happening and what would be the correct way to integrate these WAFS devices in a Microsoft DFS environment.

Many thanks

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Antonio,

WAFS 3.5 does not support exporting the DFS root server through WAFS. Only the link targets should be exported through WAFS.

The next major release of WAFS, called Wide Area Application Services (WAAS), will support exporting DFS root servers. WAAS is currently scheduled for release in June.

ok,

Zach

Hi Zach,

Thank you for your reply.

To clarify, when doing CIFS caching do I need then to specify/configure all the servers hosting shares on the central manager, under CIFS servers.

Is there any explanation you can think of that would cause DFS to drop if I simply specified the CIFS root under the cifs servers ?

How do I work around this problem ?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

adegany
Level 1
Level 1

WAAS 4.0.1 is now available on CCO and you can upgrade your WAFS devices to it. WAAS 4.0.1 fully supports DFS roots as well as adding generic TCP optimization/compression and redundancy elimination capabilities.