Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP for CE507 & Cat3550

jackson.ku
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We have one CE507 ( S/W version : ACNS 4.2 ), it worked fine with Cat5505 WCCP web-cache service. Last week we replaced Cat5505 with Cat3550 ( IOS version : 12.2.25 SEA, EMI ), but the WCCP web-cache service failed, we got some debug message from Cat3550 :

1w3d: WCCP-EVNT:S00: Here_I_Am packet from 10.1.1.224 w/bad fwd method 00000001, was offered 00000002

1w3d: WCCP-EVNT:S00: Here_I_Am packet from 10.1.1.224 with incompatible capabilites

Can you please help me to resolve this problem?

Best Regards,

2 Replies 2

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

The 3550 only supports GRE return format. The cache engine is configured for L2 return method but we can only offer GRE return method. You will need to configure gre return method on netapp cache engine to get this to work.

Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP) is a Cisco-developed content-routing protocol that provides a mechanism to redirect traffic flows in real-time. It has built-in load balancing, scaling, fault tolerance, and service-assurance (failsafe) mechanisms. Cisco IOS Release 12.1 and later releases allow the use of either Version 1 (WCCPv1) or Version 2 (WCCPv2) of the protocol.
WCCP allows utilization of Cisco Cache Engines (or other caches running WCCP) to localize web traffic patterns in the network, enabling content requests to be ulfilled locally. Traffic localization reduces transmission costs and download time.
In a layman way we can say Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP) is a protocol which is designed and developed to transparently redirect users to cache server, without them having to configure proxy settings in their browsers.
It is used between:
Routers
Layer3 Switches
Web-Caches.
WCCP gives an edge on optimizing resource utilization, and lower response times, when user makes a web request. The response time decreases because "Content Engine"provides the cached information.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp/configuration/xe-3se/3850/iap-xe-3se-3850-book/iap-wccp-v2.pdf