Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP fundamentals

gardenia42
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but I have some queries about WCCP which I'm not sure who to address to. If this is not the right place then can someone please point me in the right direction.

I'm writing a WCCP client and have found the RFC to be vague in some areas.

1] Does WCCP allow the caching device/wccp client to say "dear router, can you please only redirect traffic destined for ips X, Y and Z to me". I realize I can statically configure access lists on the router itself but I would like to use the WCCP protocol itself to "opt in" certain destinations for redirection. Is this possible? If it is not possible in the way I have outlined - is it possible in any form?

2] The WCCP protocol allows for the definition of a dynamic service group. I know squid supports these. However it seems that there is a finite list of ports that can be associated with a service group. Is there any way at all to have a service group associated with "all ports". I suspect this is possible but I don't know what form my "I_AM_HERE" message would take to communicate that. I have tried passing through all 8 ports as 0 but that seems to only result in nothing getting redirected to the web caching device.

Thanks,

gardenia42

5 Replies 5

Thanks - however I read that document many times before posting and it didn't answer my queries. I'd appreciate an answer to the specific questions I have asked - or a pointer to some other forum/person I could contact about this.

gardenia42

Fair enough let me do some research

Thanks. I found the answer to my second query after studying the RFC again. It turns out that by not settings the ports_defined flag I can pass a null list of ports and it will effectively mean "all ports".

However I'm still keen to find an answer to my first question.

Not sure if what cache engine you are using,

but WAAS will support "bypass static" permitting sources from being redirected.

ACLs are preferred and more efficient

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/command/reference/glob_cfg.html#wp1043793

You can also can also create classifiers on the WAAS units.

However, recommended to use redirect list on routers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: