Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP Issue between 3750 and Bluecoat

Daniel Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently trying to establish connectivity using WCCP between a 3750 switch and a Bluecoat SG510. I believe I have all the right configuration in place on both devices, but can not get them to establish connectivity. When I debug WCCP on the switch, I receive the following output:

Dec 15 16:20:11.015: WCCP-EVNT:wccp_update_assignment_status: enter

Dec 15 16:20:11.015: WCCP-EVNT:wccp_update_assignment_status: exit

Dec 15 16:20:11.015: WCCP-EVNT:D06: Here_I_Am packet from 172.22.64.41 w/bad assign method 00000001, was offered 00000002

Dec 15 16:20:11.015: WCCP-EVNT:D06: Here_I_Am packet from 172.22.64.41 with incompatible capabilites

Dec 15 16:20:11.015: WCCP-PKT:D06: Sending I_See_You packet to 172.22.64.41 w/ rcv_id 0000007B

Connectivity is setup as follows:

3750 switch has SVI, and connects to Bluecoat via an access port. Bluecoat is using the SVI address as the home-router. I'm using L2 as the forwarding method.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 3750 should be configured with the follow general wccp configs.

L2 Redirect

L2 Return

Mask Assign

Redirect-in on the interfaces only (no redirect-out)

Also, I recommend that you use a fairly new version of IOS for WCCP, something 12.2(37)SE or later (I have been using 12.2(46)SE lately).

See if your configs match that.

Let me know if that helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Daniel,

The 3750 series switches need to have the SDM template set to prefer routing. You can see if you have this set by the following command.

sh sdm prefer

If you don't have SDM set to prefer routing, the use the following command.

sdm prefer routing

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your response. I believe the switch to be running the 'sdm prefer routing' template

sh sdm prefer routing

"desktop routing" template:

The selected template optimizes the resources in

the switch to support this level of features for

8 routed interfaces and 1024 VLANs.

number of unicast mac addresses: 3K

number of IPv4 IGMP groups + multicast routes: 1K

number of IPv4 unicast routes: 11K

number of directly-connected IPv4 hosts: 3K

number of indirect IPv4 routes: 8K

number of IPv4 policy based routing aces: 0.5K

number of IPv4/MAC qos aces: 0.5K

number of IPv4/MAC security aces: 1K

I've applied the sdm prefer routing command and rebooted the switch to be 100% confident that side of things are correct. I'm still seeing the same errors when debugging wccp though.

The only other thing I've noticed, is that when capturing traffic between the 2 devices, the 3750 on its 'I see you' response, only allows L2 on the Forwarding and Assignment methods, but for the Return Method, both GRE and L2 are supported. I'm not sure if this is an issue or normal operation.

TIA

The 3750 should be configured with the follow general wccp configs.

L2 Redirect

L2 Return

Mask Assign

Redirect-in on the interfaces only (no redirect-out)

Also, I recommend that you use a fairly new version of IOS for WCCP, something 12.2(37)SE or later (I have been using 12.2(46)SE lately).

See if your configs match that.

Let me know if that helps,

Dan

Thanks. Redirect is applied on the client vlans. I'm not 100% sure on how to apply the L2 Redirect/Return and Mask Assign commands, do you have some detail on those.

I'm currently running 12.2(46)SE Adv IP on the switch.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

Those commands are applied to the wccp client configs, the 3750 only need the wccp services, interface and SDM configs. Bluecoat doco should give you the details on how to configure wccp on their boxes, and if they support those configurations.

Hope that helps,

Dan

I do not think Bluecoat supports L2 return - only IP Forwarding.

Issue resolved.

I rolled the code on the 3750 switch back to 12.2(37) Adv IP Serv and was able to establish WCCP connectivity.

There may be some incompatibility between 12.2(46) and the SG 5.2.3.3

Many Thanks for the feedback!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: