Views
Helpful
Replies

wccp performance on ISR G2 routers

ROMAN TOMASEK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

do you have any information about the CPU load on the ISR G2 routers, when the wccp is configured on these platforms? I have to decide between the inline mode and WCCP mode, but I don't know how much the wccp influents the router's performance.

Thank you

Roman

2 Replies 2

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roman,

I don't have the exact performance numbers (you should probably contact your account team for that) but I can confirm that the impact will be quite high. This because of the following reasons:

• On the ISR, the WCCP redirection (including the GRE encapsulation) is done in software. CEF is used to minimize the impact, but, if the amount of redirected traffic is high, the impact will be noticeable.
  • When using WCCP, the redirected traffic will go through the device twice, so, if all the traffic is redirected, the load on the router will almost double.

Even though using WCCP will have some impact on the load in the ISR, these devices are designed to handle the load of a small branch, so, if you don't have too much traffic to be redirected, it should be fine to use WCCP, but as I said, better talk to your account team to get a proper sizing done.

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

thank you very much for your information.

Roman