Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

wccp redirection for waas on same platform as wccp for websense?

just wondering if anyone knows if a Cisco router or switch can handle wccp redirection enabled for both waas and some other web content filtering appliance using a different service group?

seems like the priority value would come into play determining which service group gets handled first?

wccp service groups.jpg

we currently do WCCP for WaaS on our 3945s.

I am going to advocate to my customer that we separate this out for CPU load issues, config complexity issues, IOS issues, etc... but the question is going to come up - "can we do WCCP for different applications on our Catalyst 3750 core switch, or our 3945 WAN routers?"

Thanks,
Paul

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

Yes, it's technically possible to have WCCP redirection for several services even in those devices that don't support setting the priority. However, in this case, both WAAS and Websense need to redirect HTTP traffic, and that's what makes things complicated.

Assuming you first want to send the traffic to Websense and then to WAAS, I would recommend doing the WAAS redirection only on the WAN link (with one service inbound and the other outbound). You can then configure Web-cache redirection inbound on the client vlan and, a service for the return traffic (I'm not sure if this is required for websense), inbound on the interface where the WAE is connected (with a redirect-list to match only the return direction)

Even if it's possible to have both redirections in the same device, if possible, I would strongly suggest you to either use different devices for the redirection or to make them mutually exclusive (for example, not sending HTTP to WAAS), otherwise, if you make a small mistake with the configuration, you can end up with a redirection loop.

Regards

Daniel

Great feedback Daniel -  thank you for the input.

I tend to agree - I am going to advise my customer that co-mingling these services is potentially risky.

Especially since we have platform restrictions on top of it...doing wccp on Cat3750 - I seem to remember some wccp access list restrictions that might limit the level of control we can apply there.

Thanks again - I will share this info with my peers and my customer.

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content