Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WCCP v2 with L2-Rewrite encapsulation

I am working with a non-Cisco cache/proxy engine, trying to use WCCP v2 dynamic services to intercept HTTP, MMS, and RTSP requests in transparent cache mode, using the L2-Rewrite encapsulation that's described in the WCCP spec.

My test gear happens to be a 2600 router with IOS 12.1(3)T. All the documentation says that it handles L2 encapsulation, but the WCCP messages don't include the Capabilities Info and I can't tell whether the negotiation was successful.

I can provide as many gruesome details on the setup as you want, but I am trying to develop a general purpose product capability that will operate correctly in a wide range of customer environments. We do not want to use GRE tunneling, for performance and other reasons both in the router/switch and in the cache/proxy engine.

Is there a magic decoder ring? I can make my WCCP agent say anything I want, but the rest of the environment is a frustrating black box.

• Application Networking
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: WCCP v2 with L2-Rewrite encapsulation

where in the documentation did you see that the 2600 could do this ?

Could you please give me a link ?

I believe only Cat6500 and Cat3550 can do the L2 forwarding.

I don't think any router can do it. Only L3 switch.

Gilles.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

where in the documentation did you see that the 2600 could do this ?

Could you please give me a link ?

I believe only Cat6500 and Cat3550 can do the L2 forwarding.

I don't think any router can do it. Only L3 switch.

Gilles.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/fun_c/fcprt3/fcd305.htm#1000873

It is not an explicit statement either way. One of the key features of WCCP v2.0 is the L2-Rewrite option, and IOS 12.1 supports WCCP v2.0, and the 2600 series (and many other routers) support IOS 12.1. I can easily believe that some devices support L2-Rewrite and other don't, but it would make a developer's life much easier if the restrictions were more obvious.

Since posting the question, I have verified that the router is redirecting the traffic via a WCCP-GRE tunnel. Handling that will force us to modify the platform kernel - not our first choice, but doable.

Cisco Employee

ok - I see the reasoning.

However, the 2600 does not support this feature.

As I said, only a layer 3 switch is capable of doing this and at Cisco it is the cat6k, the cat3550 and the cat4400.

Gilles.

Thanks -- More work for me...

1. Can You suggest me a low end router that supports L2 rewrite?

2. Is it true that routers dont support L2 rewrite feature?

3. Can you suggest a router which supports masking?

-Ananth (ananth.arockia@gmail.com)

Views
Helpful
Replies