cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Web server active/failover configuration ( Please help)

tbui
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have two CSMs for the 6500 switch (the 6500 switches are running native IOS). One CSM at Boston and the other one at Virgina.

There are 2 web servers located at two different locations (Boston and Virginia), I am trying to configure by using GSLB feature. What we want is if the web server in Virginia fail, it will redirect to the web server in Boston (active failover NOT load balancing). I do not know GSLB or other way to make it work as I mention. There is a 6MB circuit between Boston and Virginia.

Could anyone help me with this configuration. I am totally new with CSM

Thanks in advance!

Theo

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Theo,

unlik the CSS, the CSM does not have redirect services. It also does not perform GSLB alone.

If you want to do GSLB, you will need a GSS4490.

This will do what you need by redirecting DNS request to the closest site.

On the CSM, all you can is a backupserverfarm but traffic will still go accross both site.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Thanks a quick response. If that is the only choice (backupserverfarm) that I have on the CSM,

1- what is the configuration look like?

2- Why the traffic still go accross both site?

3- If web server at Virginia fail, will the backupserver online without interrupt the http traffic from users.

4 Is there a document show me how to configure that

5- What do I have to do on the DNS side.

Thanks Gilles

my mistake.

You can actually redirect to the remote site.

You need to combine the backupserverfarm feature with a serverfarm configured for redirect.

The command to create the redirect serverfarm are :

serverfarm

redirect-vserver

webhost relocation

Then on your local vserver you do

vserver

virtual x.x.x.x tcp 80

serverfarm backup

inservice

Hope this help.

Sorry for the initial incorrect info.

Gilles.

Gilles,

As you know, we have 2 csm loacated at different cities. If the first CSM at Virginia fail, will the second CSM at Boston will be online. What the configuration look like? Thanks

There are many ways to configure this depending on what you want to achieve.

The config I just gave you previously is one way of doing it.

You configure each site separately and use the "backup" serverfarm to point at the remote site in case all servers are down at the local site.

Gilles

Thanks Gilles,

Can I have your email, so I can send you my configuration and the drawing of my network? see if is is correct. Thanks

send it to gdufour@cisco.com