Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

X-forwarded-for off by default?

Lately, I have observed that more and more commercial ISP proxy servers have turned off X-forwarded as well as other fields. This is a common l33t tactic to hide identity (see: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/faq.htm) and to create anonymous proxy servers.

Is there some new underlying reason why this is happening? Is there some new Squid or Cisco Cache Engine version that turns off X-forwarded-for by default?

Thanks,

Hank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: X-forwarded-for off by default?

Hank,

x-forward-for is off by default on our content engines and I believe it has always been that way.

The x-forward-for is not a RFC header but a vendor specific header which has been adopted by a number of vendors including us.

In a true transparent caching environment you would not want this header added as we could not be fully transparent then.

HTH

Phil

1 REPLY

Re: X-forwarded-for off by default?

Hank,

x-forward-for is off by default on our content engines and I believe it has always been that way.

The x-forward-for is not a RFC header but a vendor specific header which has been adopted by a number of vendors including us.

In a true transparent caching environment you would not want this header added as we could not be fully transparent then.

HTH

Phil

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content