Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor reputation problem

a.strozzieri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I have 2 listener configured in Cisco spam & virus blocker (IncomingMail and OutgoingMail).

I configured my device to use the IncomingMail listener for incoming e-mail only and the OutgoingMail listener for outgoing e-mail from authenticated users only.

On OutgoingMail listener authentication is required on all mail flow policy but when I send e-mail, e. g. from my home, I get a poor reputation error from spam blocker.

I would like anyone send e-mail through my OutgoingMail but only with a correct authentication.Can anyone help me to solve the poor reputation problem?Thanks in advance.

Mariano

2 Replies 2

dzavasni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mariano,

I'm assuming the internet connection that you are trying to email from at home is a regular residential account with a random IP address? Or is it a business account with static IP?

If it is a residential account with random IP, it is common for these IP addresses to be predetermined as having a poor reputation. This is because the IP given to a residential customer comes from a random pool, and can change either at your ISP's predetermined intervals, or each time your modem is reset. This means it is hard to contain or predict malicious traffic such as an email-based virus since the IP it is originating from can change. Thas is why an IP address that resides in one of these residential pools can be given a poor reputation even if it has never connected to your Blocker before. Most reputation databases, such as the ones the Blocker pulls its information from, will have lists of each ISP's owned IP addresses and know which blocks are used for residential and which are used for business.

One solution would be to have the Blocker not filter based on reputation for your authenticated users. To do this, edit your outgoing listener and under Advanced Options you can uncheck "Senderbase IP Profiling." 

jsteer
Level 1
Level 1

Mariano

seems like you need to revise your configuration. Two questions:

1. How are your users authenticating to send mail?

2. How is the HAT setup on the outbound listener?

The error sounds like a HAT error - i.e. it cannot get to the authentication stage as the host attempting to submit the message(s) are not accepted due to the IP addresses/range not on the permitted relay list to me.

jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: