cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static IP on TBA?

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Will we be getting static IP options on the TBA?  We had a problem on our own LAN over the weekend that makes this an absolutely must-have.  I was out of town until last night and our DHCP server faled to reboot after a power outage.  All the rest of the LAN booted as expected but the TBA failed to pull an IP and then was offline.  Our DHCP server was also our VPN and RDP server but if the TBA had been online I could have remoted to another machine with the TBA from where I was but since the TBA had no IP it was offline in the portal.

I logged into the TBA today and still find no option for a static IP.  IMHO, it's a very, very, very bad idea to require DHCP for the TBA.  This is an infrastructure appliance not a desktop PC and as such should have a static IP at all times (not just by static DHCP reservation).

I respectfully submit this should be #1 on the list for the next set of changes.  Without this something as simple as a DHCP service crash could bring down a TBA.  Unacceptable in my opinion.

3 Replies 3

Brian,

Glad to see you are back! I will bump up the priority of this request. Having the option of a static IP will change provisioning and the install experience a bit, but this is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks,

Marcos

It doesn't have to change the intall/provisioning experience.  Even full 2008 R2 Enterprise Server has a DHCP assigned IP on the NIC on first install, but having the ability to go back and set a static IP will ensure reliablity even if there's a major infrastructure failure.

Right. I have included this request as mandatory for Drop 5 (the Drop 4 ship has already sailed). In any case, it will happen within the Trial period.

Marcos