Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone 7861

admin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have bought a pair of Cisco IP Phone 7861 for my small business (at good price) but I just realized they work only with Cisco Unified Communication Manager..is that right?

Can I use it only inserting my provider data in it and get calls?

Awaiting your kind reply

Thanks in Advance

Armando

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

with Cisco Unified Communication Manager..is that right?

Nope.  The phones will work with call controllers that support SIP.  Google the phrase "Cisco phones Asterisk" and see what you come up with. 

One can get an Asterisk "server" by investing in <US$80.  The Asterisk software can be loaded into a humble Raspberry Pi.  

Hello Leo,

thanks for the reply. I already have a simple "server". It is basically a virtual pbx called VOHIPPO and I use two standard phones linked to the CISCO ATA 122. Everything works and is enought for what I do with my small business. The reason why I both the 2 Cisco 7861 is that the price was really good and I wanted a better communication and also wanted to use jabra pro 9470.

So what I have done is have inserted provided data into the virtual pbx and then the user and psw given fm the virtual pbx into the CISCO ATA 122. 

Everything works but I want to improve quality of audio.

Therefore my question is, can I insert user and psw given by my vohippo virtual pbx into the cisco phones?

Regards

Armando

can I insert user and psw given by my vohippo virtual pbx into the cisco phones?

So your Cisco phone can talk to your voice provider?  Depends on your voice provider.  Some voice provider will accept multiple login connections per account but some don't.  

Hello,

My qyestion is: My voice provider gives me a SIP server with a USERNAME and PSW.

Can I insert such data into my CISCO 7861 IP PHONE?

Or I can only use this phone with Cisco Unified Communication Manager for which you need a monthly Subscription? and I don't need since it's a very small and simple business with 2 phones...

Thanks in advance for your kind reply,

Armando Scotto Lavina

Can I insert such data into my CISCO 7861 IP PHONE?

Of course you can.  

Or I can only use this phone with Cisco Unified Communication Manager for which you need a monthly Subscription?

Like I said in my first post, Google search "Cisco phones Asterisk". 

(Because the phones are going to be used for business purposes, I will decline to provide instructions on how to get this done.)

Luis Gradyz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That depends on their product ID, there are 7861 phones that have the letters 3PCC in the product ID, those have the ability to work with 3rd party providers/call managers. If your phone does not have those letters then it is the CUCM version which will not work for you.

If you're still unsure, feel free to call TAC and open a case so we can confirm by checking the serial number.

Thank you for choosing Cisco.

Not really, you can use pretty much any Cisco SIP IP Phone with plenty of 3rd party options (as Leo mentions), you just need to provide the phone with the right files, with the right configuration. 3PCC/MPP just make it easier as they provide a GUI to configure them, instead of manually editing the .xml config file.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

How do you get into edit mode from the web browser on a 7861? When I goto the ip address of the 7861 I just get the device info page? I want to program it through the web interface. Thanks

If you got an enterprise model there is no edit mode from the web page on the phone. You will need to provide the phone with all the configuration files formatted as if it was registering to a CUCM/CME.

If you got a 3PCC device, you'll get a login page when you browse to the phone's IP and will see on top: CP-model-3PCC Configuration Utility, and then you can configure the device via that web page.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: