Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA112 Line 2 Noise Problem

kashifbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could help with this.

I have successfully set-up Line 1 SIP account. Which works fine, no problems. I'm trying to set up Line 2 exactly the same way. I have configured SIP account 2 on Line 2 but when I answer a call, I get a lot of noise, like a fax machine or the noise the 56k modems used to make which it tried to connect to the internet a long time ago!

I've double checked the settings for both lines and the settings are identical apart from the SIP account information.

Any ideas?

11 Replies 11

kashifbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help with this?

Even if you supply complete configuration information together with catched debug and syslog messages no one may help you. But with no informations you can be almost sure that nobody will not be able to help. Sorry.

Thanks Dan - at least someone replied.

I thought this may have been a something common but obviously not. I will post screen captures of both lines.

Dan,

I have attached the config.xml file

Hopefully someone can spot the option which is causing this problem.

Oh, you are using ancient and very buggy version of firmware. Another important information you missed in original question. It's waste of time on both your's and our's side to try to solve any problem on it. Upgrade it to something newer (latest firmware preferred) and try again. I wish the upgrade will solve your problem (then mark this thread as answered). If problem remain unsolved, leave a notice here.

According the upgrade from 1.0.2 version of firmware read:

Software for Cisco SPA112 2-Port Phone Adapter

Updated to version 1.3.2 (014). Both lines work perfectly now. Thanks for all the help.

One last thing, why do some telephones work this ATA and some don't? There is no dialtone in one of my telephones which I tested but the other ones work fine! Any ideas about this?

There is more than one Plain old telephone service interface/protocol (it's the protocol your phone is speaking to ATA device and is used for transfer of basic events like "do ringing", "earphone picked up" and so on). Althougth the protocol is very simple (it can be mostly expressed in the terms of voltage and resistance), both devices needs to speak compatible way.

It's even worse, some phones may be more tolerant for unexpected deviations in parameters than other.

See Voice->Regional->Miscelaneous section and Voice->Line n->FXS Port Polarity Configuration

You need to configure values according your phone device requirements. It may not be esay to found the phone specification, but all you needs is "what country the phone has been manufactured for" In most cases there is single specification of parameters of POTS line per country so follow it.

If your two phones have incompatible requirements then reconfigure one or both of phones first if possible. If not possible, then you can't connect both devices to one ATA at the same time.

I will try - thanks Dan

durreavi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Kashif :

One of the ways that you can use to eliminate the noise that is is in the line is enable some features that the SPA112  has. These features are:Silence Supp Enable ,Silence Threshold, Echo Canc Enable.These features are in the web configuration utilitily  Voice> Line 1/2 > Audio configuration.

I hope this information help you.

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately after enabling the option you mention did not fix the noise issue.