cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

double hook flash

s.agbariah
Level 1
Level 1

the double hook flash problem is still an annoying issue with the 5.1.10 code, I wonder if Cisco has any plans to fix the problem anytime soon

9 Replies 9

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With which products are you experiencing double-hook flash issues?

In what environment is/are the devices connected?

Regards,

Patrick

----------

SPA3102 connected to Trixbox, the SPA3102 is connected to a PSTN line and used as a SIP trunk, everything works fine except for when I receive a second call,  I flash and lose both calls, I tweaked the Hook Flash Timer 0.02-.13 but it didn't help.

I'd like to pursue this issue with you. Please contact me at paborn at Cisco dot com.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

In summary, the customer was wanting to make/recieve a PSTN call and then be able to hook-flash and receive a second PSTN call.

He found that when hook-flashing to receive a second, simultaneous call, the first PSTN call was terminated.

This is normal and expected behavior because the SPA3102 does not support more than one PSTN call at a time.

The PSTN-side of the SPA3102 can be thought of as a backup line in the event of power / Internet failure.

The SPA3102 can deal with simultaneous calls on the VoIP side of the device.

Additional information on the SPA3102 is available:

Documentation: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2149

Datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9946/data_sheet_c78-502105.html

Firmware: http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=Analog+Telephone+Adaptor+%28ATA%29+Firmware&mdfid=282414112&treeName=Communications+Infrastructure&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+SPA3102+Voice+Gateway+with+Router&isPlatform...

Regards,

Patrick

----------

paborn wrote:

The PSTN-side of the SPA3102 can be thought of as a backup line in the event of power / Internet failure.

----------

I believe the original question was can the FXO port issue a hook flash to the attached PSTN line.  In the case of the PSTN line attached to the FXO port it is the PSTN carrier that is supporting CallWaiting and 3-Way Calling not the SPA3102. 

The SPA3102 has the following setting on the PSTN Line tab.

Line 1 Signal Hook Flash To PSTN.  The settings are Disable or Double Hook Flash.

This setting is not documented in the ATA Administration Guide either because it was overlooked or because there is some controversy over its function. 

In addition there is a setting for PSTN Hook Flash Len.  The ATA Administration Guide says the default for that setting is 100 ms or 0.1 second.

The device was clearly engineered to issue a hook flash to the PSTN line.

If the Line1 Signal Hook Flash to PSTN setting is set and the calling party calling from the phone attached to the SPA3102 issues a double flash from the attached phone you can demonstrate that the FXO port will issue the hook flash to the attached line. 

If an incoming voip call, which would be the original poster's case of a SPA3102 attached to an Asterisk Trixbox PBX, is bridged to an outgoing PSTN line call then you can demonstrate that if an incoming digital hook flash is received by the PSTN Line voip, the adapter will issue a hook flash to the FXO port.  In this case it is not triggered by double flash, but the ability to send the hook flash from the calling ata through the switch across the digital voip call by either the AVT or INFO protocol.

I am not sure whether or not the SPA3102 firmware has a problem, as I don't have Call Waiting on the PSTN Line to test the hook flash, but I do have another Linksys ATA's FXS port  attached to the SPA3102 FXO port and a sip debug trace of the attached SPA1001 does show the hook flash received from the FXO port to which it is attached. 

I do not believe it is correct to say the "PSTN-side of the SPA3102 can be thought of as a backup line in the event of power / Internet failure." That is simply not the simple case of how the SPA3102 is marketed or is it reflected in the Cisco DataSheet which outlines the ability to bridge a call.

Dear Sir;

There are two sides of this discussion:

- The first is related to your first question, SPA3102 supporting call waiting over the PSTN. Answer is that SPA3102 does not support call waiting over PSTN.

- The second is related to the capability of SPA3102 to act as a gateway and a failover device. Answer is yes in both cases...SPA3102 is a full featured voip gateway and also is able to detect failures on the VoIP connectivity in order to trigger failover over PSTN.

Regards
Alberto

Alberto Amontill,  Thank you for the response.

What is the purpose of the configuration setting Line 1 Signal Hook Flash to PSTN which is on the PSTN Line Tab of the SPA3102 with the current firmware (v5.1.10)?

Dear Sir;

The purpose is to map the hookflash coming from VoIP (line 1) to PSTN.

Regards;
Alberto

Hi, I have a UC560 and I'm having this exact identicle issue with a Polycom connected to the FXS ports.  I tried everything that was suggested, and doesn't seem to work.  Anyone have a good link to how to configure this feature start to finish?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: