cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Identifying counterfeit PAP2

permutation1
Level 1
Level 1

Is Cisco interested in following up with fake Linksys PAP2-NA being sold on ebay? If so, what is the procedure?

The MAC address printed on the bottom of my device is 001217F92844 which apparently is a German company, "Protechna". I think this is strong evidence of a fake.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bill,

Our Small Business engineer did some research and found that the MAC address is assigned to Cisco/Linksys and the serial number shows us that the warranty on that unit expired in 2006. 

Our recommendation in the future is that if you want to purchase a genuine Cisco product is to buy it from a certified Cisco Partner.

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cindy toy
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the information.  I will contact the correct group within Cisco who can help you.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Hi Cindy,

Since no one has got back to me yet, and I only have limited amount of time to return an ebay item. Is there a way that I can check the serial number and MAC address my self to validate it is an original product and and not a fake?

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay I was hoping our fraud team would contact you.  I just sent an inquiry to our product team for help.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Hi Bill,

Our Small Business engineer did some research and found that the MAC address is assigned to Cisco/Linksys and the serial number shows us that the warranty on that unit expired in 2006. 

Our recommendation in the future is that if you want to purchase a genuine Cisco product is to buy it from a certified Cisco Partner.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: