cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iLBC Audio Codec

luke
Level 1
Level 1

Might there be plans in the future for adding iLBC to the supported audio codecs for the SPA122?

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wrong place to ask this. supportforums.cisco.com is platform for volunteer/customer/fans (self-)support. Cisco employee may be aware of future plans only. Unfortunately, last fan-employee, paborn  leaved the show few years ago.

Currently no Cisco employee is fan of SPA122 as far as I know, thus there's no one who can answer your question

Buy support contract and call SMB support center to submit feature request.

Or forgot negligible save of 48kbps of bandwith and use G711u instead (which have better MOS, by the way).

Ah, that is a shame.

I don't want to save bandwidth, I want the PLC capabilities of iLBC - The connection can experience up to 15% packet loss, and the user won't hear a difference. uLaw is completely uncompressed and highly susceptible to loss.

I feel the same, yes, it's big Cisco shame. But it's Cisco sovereignty to create forum for fans and enthusiast and then ignore them.

PLC capabilities of iLBC - The connection can experience up to 15% packet loss

15% packet loss ? I suspect it's so much even for PLC. Especially it packets are lost in bursts. All at all, SPA122 supports no such codec - and even if Cisco will not refuse your feature request, it will take months until new firmware will be ready for you. Thus I consider it no-solution for your customer ...

Errata: 15% may not be unacceptable for iLBC, although bursts may make things worse. See page 15 of Speech/Audio Coding for IP networks

If bandwidth is no issue, consider SPA5xx phone and G722.1 codec instead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: