cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a Good IP Phone

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

We've recently switched to RingCentral for our VOIP service provider and tried using the Cisco SPA112 ADA along with our existing analog phones. Problem is, our analog phones are not showing Caller ID. The ADA is picking it up great, but our analog phones just aren't wanting to display it.

So we're thinking now's a good time to upgrade to IP phones and fully enter the digital age.

Here's my needs:

• A desk phone that's an IP phone that'll connect to my router over Ethernet (PoE not necessary, just Ethernet for data).
  • Corded phone for my desk phone, but I also need the ability to extend the desk phone to multiple DECT 6 cordless handsets. I like using corded at my desk but like to transfer my calls to the cordless when walking around. It would need to be DECT 6 since Wi-Fi cordless would prove to be a pain.
  • RingCentral or standard SIP compatible.
  • Call Waiting, Caller ID, voicemail access, all the usuals.
  • One line's fine but if it comes with multiple lines that's OK too.
  • Prefer Cisco but if we have to get a different brand we will.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nathan,

This is my opinion, for what its worth. I would return the 112 and get the ring central "endorsed" ATA. I think it will give you the best flexibility and you'll be happiest with a set up the way you want it. The panasonic system I mentioned is something of a random link - I used a pana system similar many many years ago - back when it was 2.4 ghz, so I just knew pana made the integrated desk phone/base station with a real handset as opposed to some other brands with the speakerphone only base station. Shop around, and shop somewhere with a good return policy if its not what you like or not compatible.

As far as price, the ATA @ Ring central is $69, the panasonic system with desk phone/base and 3 handsets for example is $109 direct from panasonic, and you can get it $10-20 cheaper on amazon/best buy/others. Total is  about $178.  If your place is prewired with phone jacks, you can light them all up with the ATA - or use splitters to add phones as necessary.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Nathan,

From your other thread, it looks like you found a good phone to meet your needs. Are you still looking for suggestions?

If you are, how many lines do you have with Ringcentral and how many users/phones will you need?

It sounds like you have one line, and you want to have the one line ring multiple phones both corded and cordless. I would suggest just going with Ring central's standard ATA (Cisco Linksys SPA-2102 (ATA). Why? Its cheap, you can plug in a splitter, one to cordless base station and one to a desk phone, or use a system like this which has a combo deskphone/base station and handsets (many other variations from panasonic and other manufacturers also available), and it looks like Ring Central will provide tech support if you run into trouble.  "They arrive Plug & Ring ready, so no manual configuration is required and free technical support is included."

Best,

David

We're looking at the Polycom Kirk system, but we're still open to options since I haven't gotten pricing on it yet and I have a feeling it's $$$. There's also the Snom but I'm a little leery about the quality since I'm not familiar with the brand. Polycom would probably be better.

I have one line with RingCentral and just need to be able to use it with multiple handsets. I've got the ADA and a good DECT analog cordless phone now with multiple handsets. Problem is, Caller ID refuses to show up on the phone. The ADA picks it up perfectly, but the phone refuses to display it. Only "Incoming Call" on my cordless phone and if I plug in a corded phone, it shows "Error".

Tech Support tried all night to get it to function with no luck. They're telling me try purchasing an IP phone instead.

Nathan,

I noticed the model ADA you have isn't the one listed on Ring Central's website. Did you purchase it from them? If so, I'd press them to stand by it so long as you've already ruled out the phones as being the problem. The limitation as we discussed in the other thread is that they will only let you register one phone per line, and they want $20-something per line, right?

It looks like the Polycom Kirk is about $350 for the 300 server and one handset. For that price, you can get a used router with call manager express and 2 7940s on ebay... and then you still have the ability to use an ATA or fxs to plug non-ip "normal" cordless phones in achieving a mix of the two.  Though, the set up can get to be very complex.

Judging from your post about the SPA112 ADA, its not too old. Maybe try returning/exchanging it for the model that RingCentral has listed on their website?

Best,

David

It's true I have the SPA112 ADA and not the one listed on their website. They also told me my phones (AT&T brand phones) are flat not compatible with their service. I just purchased the SPA112, so I could easily return it.

Should I possibly try returning the SPA112 ADA, ditching my AT&T phones, and getting their ADA with the Panasonic phone you showed me to see if that works? Would that be cheaper than going with a Polycom Kirk system or would it be better to bite the bullet and spend the little more for the Polycom Kirk system? Which would give me the best performance and sound quality?

It's true they'll only let me register one phone (Ethernet device) per line, so to use multiple handsets, I need something with flexible handsets that works off one base. I only need one line though (which is $40/month, multiple lines start at $30/month). Multiple lines/extensions would make things way too complicated.

Thanks for all your help! I'll post some ratings later.

Hi Nathan,

This is my opinion, for what its worth. I would return the 112 and get the ring central "endorsed" ATA. I think it will give you the best flexibility and you'll be happiest with a set up the way you want it. The panasonic system I mentioned is something of a random link - I used a pana system similar many many years ago - back when it was 2.4 ghz, so I just knew pana made the integrated desk phone/base station with a real handset as opposed to some other brands with the speakerphone only base station. Shop around, and shop somewhere with a good return policy if its not what you like or not compatible.

As far as price, the ATA @ Ring central is $69, the panasonic system with desk phone/base and 3 handsets for example is $109 direct from panasonic, and you can get it $10-20 cheaper on amazon/best buy/others. Total is  about $178.  If your place is prewired with phone jacks, you can light them all up with the ATA - or use splitters to add phones as necessary.

Best,

David

Thanks for the info! I'll chat with RingCentral about it and see what I can do. Their ADA might work a lot better than the 112. I just liked the 112 since it was compact and simple looking, but their ADA might play better since they endorse it. I'll also look at the Panasonics since they might play better with the ADA than the AT&T phones I have. RingCentral says AT&T phones don't play well with their setup. AT&T likes it when you use their phones with AT&T instead. :-)

We do have in-line wiring, so we could run the ADA into the jack and have service everywhere. We were planning to do this with our current ADA before the issue.

With an "if all else fails", I did find out that RingCentral supports the Snom M9 IP phone, and the reviews I've seen on it are better than I thought. I can pick up a complete set with a few handsets for about $300, about half or less than half of a Polycom Kirk system. So I'll look into the official ADA and a better cordless phone first and fallback on the Snom M9 if all else fails.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi Nathan,

I was thinking about your set up a bit and I have another idea for you. I realize it will seem like a lot more than you currently need, and I don't know what your business is, but it is certainly something that you can grow into. Take a look at the UC320W, it can replace the RV220W as a router and access point, but it is also a phone system. It can support a whole range of wired and wireless cisco IP phones (SPA series - up to 24 phones). You can use ring central or any other (more cost effective) voip provider through the SIP trunk, and 4x FXO ports (old school POTS connections) and also 1x FXS (analog devices - plug into your prewired building/fax machine/door bell, etc). The FXO/FXS ports are expandable with the SPA 8800 as you grow. Take a look at the huge range of telephony features that you can use as well.

Personally, this equipment will keep you moving forward unlike ATA adapters and old school cordless phones.

Best of all, its the "same" web based management system that you have on your current line of gear.

Just another thing to consider.

Best,

David

Thanks for the info! I'll sure look into all of it!