Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with SPA232D + SPA302D ringback tones??

I recently installed a new SPA232D ATA and SPA302D DECT handset onto our office network, which already uses a trusty SPA525G2 desk phone. Both the SPA525 and the SPA232 register with a hosted SIP provider on separate lines. I don't have any other phones (analgoue or otherwise) connected to the SPA232. After configuring the device and entering a bunch of regional settings, most things with the new phone work as expected.

However, when I use the SPA302 handset (via the SPA232) to call the SPA525, I hear an odd ringback tone that sounds only once followed by silence until the call is picked up or goes to VM. The destination phone continues to ring and can be picked up as normal to initiate the call. Also, the tone is different from the ringback tones entered into the regional settings of either device. Calling other phones and other numbers (outside my SIP account) result in ringback tones that are correct for our region. I did a very quick syslog capture with wireshark and I see a 100->183->200 SIP sequence on these calls, whereas other calls seem to show a 100->180->200 sequence. I didn't see any 182s. Not sure if that is important.

Any idea what might cause this?

Also, a couple of other minor problems reagrding the SPA232D + SPA302D combo:

- The SPA232 will not automatically register to the SIP service after a reset or power cycle, and makes no attempt to reconnect after the intial failure. It will register immediately, however, if the voice component is restarted after a config change in the http GUI. I have set network delay to 0, but noticed no difference.

- The SPA232 (or SPA302) seems to ignore most regional settings. Changes to tone frrequencies and cadences in the config make no difference to the tones heard through the SPA302. Do these need to somehow be resynced with the handset?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

With thanks,
Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Gold

the ringback tones entered into the regional settings of either device. Calling other phones and other numbers (outside my SIP account) result in ringback tones that are correct for our region. I did a very quick syslog capture with wireshark and I see a 100->183->200 SIP sequence on these calls, whereas other calls seem to show a 100->180->200 sequence. I didn't see any 182s. Not sure if that is important. 

It IS important. The 180 code is "generate ringback tone locally" command. The callers phone will create ringback tone according it's (regional) configuration. The 183 code is "I will sent you ringback tone as audio" - so local phone generate no tone, just play what it come via audio channel from called device or target exchange to it.

So you need to check configuration of exchange that connect call from SPA232D to SPA525 (e.g. call with broken ringback tone).

9 REPLIES
VIP Gold

the ringback tones entered into the regional settings of either device. Calling other phones and other numbers (outside my SIP account) result in ringback tones that are correct for our region. I did a very quick syslog capture with wireshark and I see a 100->183->200 SIP sequence on these calls, whereas other calls seem to show a 100->180->200 sequence. I didn't see any 182s. Not sure if that is important. 

It IS important. The 180 code is "generate ringback tone locally" command. The callers phone will create ringback tone according it's (regional) configuration. The 183 code is "I will sent you ringback tone as audio" - so local phone generate no tone, just play what it come via audio channel from called device or target exchange to it.

So you need to check configuration of exchange that connect call from SPA232D to SPA525 (e.g. call with broken ringback tone).

Thank you Dan, that is very helpful.

Unfortuntely, in my haste I didn't look closely enough at the captures and posted the sequences round the wrong way. It is the good calls that show the 100->183->200 sequence and the bad calls that show 100->180->200.

Just to be clear, the regional config for "Ring Back Tone" and "Ring Back 2 Tone" are correct for our region and they work on other SPAs.

Any ideas? I'd be glad to provide the capture if it would help.

Nevermind, I think I found a solution. There seems to be a problem with the ringback tone scipt in my regional settings (in particular the silent section) and the SPA232 was intepreting it incorrectly or reverting back to a factory default. I rewrote the script and the problem is gone. It's odd, because the old script works fine with the SPA112, SPA122 etc.

Thanks again for the help.

VIP Gold

There seems to be a problem with the ringback tone scipt in my regional settings (in particular the silent section) and the SPA232 was intepreting it incorrectly or reverting back to a factory default. I rewrote the script and the problem is gone. 

You may consider to mark this thread as "answered". It may help others to found solutions.

It's odd, because the old script works fine with the SPA112, SPA122 etc.

Suspicious. SPA232D and SPA1x2 firmware seems to share code base. Did it work fine on SPA1x2 with the same firmware version ?

Re: Problem with SPA232D + SPA302D ringback tones??

I'm not sure what firmware the SPA112 and SPA122 used and I have no way to check now. I know it wasn't 1.3.2 though, which is the version I'm using on the SPA232D.

VIP Gold

So I suspect the firmware version is the answer, not the device model.

By the way, I fixed the problem of the SPA232D not registering on startup or reboot by replacing the domain address of my SIP proxy with its IP address instead. Must be some kind of early DNS problem.

VIP Gold

We are using IP as well - not only on ATA devices, but on SPA5xx also.

Not only because the problem you hit. It's better not to depend on other servers unless necesarry. Resulting phone network is more reliable.

VIP Gold

See also: SPA112 FW bug

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content