Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SPA 3102 - PSTN CID to passthru to PAP2 @ far end via VOIP(SIP) provider

Hello Team / All

I have a problem of getting the CID on my PAP2T connected Panasonic DECT Phone.

How can I ask the question? Is this a valid way of approaching you ?

At My parent’s place I have SPA3102 configured and connected to Internet.

PSTN CID enabled line is also connected to 'Line port' of the SPA3102.

When a call received from anyone outside to parent's phone line which connected to SPA-3102, the call comes to my far end PAP2T connected Panasonic phone. But I never ever get the PSTN CID in my Panasonic. It displays only SIP Registered Name and SIP number only. My VOIP hosting provider is callcentric.com. However when I check my SPA3102 'info' page I can see last PSTN number recorded as like this (Last PSTN Caller: , 112242881). It always has a Comma in front of the number. I guess that is fine as far as I can see the PSTN CID in my PAP2T connected Panasonic display phone.

Now I am able to provide any Syslog files if someone can let me know what exactly need to provide

However If you can tell me some parameters to tweak and find the issue is the BEST.

Many Thanks - Pradeep H

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: SPA 3102 - PSTN CID to passthru to PAP2 @ far end via VOIP(S

As you know the incoming caller id comes in on the PSTN Line either before or after the first ring.  The PSTN Answer Delay setting with a 3-second recommended delay is to allow the SPA3102 time to decode the incoming caller id before it processes the call.  If you see the caller id on the SPA3102 INFO Tab it is a good indication that the SPA3102 did decode the incoming caller id.

Whether or not you can pass the incoming caller id from the PSTN Line call to the bridged distant location depends to a great extent on how you are forwarding the call.

The SPA3102 has a PSTN-to-VoIP Gateway setting, "PSTN CID For VoIP CID: No/Yes", however the incoming PSTN CID is often only useful on an outgoing sip uri call, because most voip providers will not allow it as part of their authentication process if your bridged call is going to a destination for which your voip provider requires authentication, i.e. going to a PSTN number.

CallCentric, as is common with many/most voip providers, will not let you "spoof" the caller id.  They insist that on an outgoing call you use a caller id associated with your CallCentric account, or for a 3d party number the number needs to have been verified thru their "verification process".  Your preference is an account setting and your calls always use a specified CID number.

If you can have the SPA3102 make a sip uri forwarding call to forward the incoming PSTN line call to the distant location the call will then look like a regular incoming call to the destination voip provider and you should be able to pass the caller id.  For example, if you were forwarding the call to a CallCentric account number your forwarding dial plan would be something like this ... (S0< :1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com>) where 1777xxx... is your callcentric account number.

To make a sip uri call I believe you also need to have the setting "Enable IP Calling: Yes" on the Line 1 Tab.

Till I get back to you with all what you recommended, can you let me know how to save all the config pages of from SPA3102 as well as PAP2T? I seen some people saved them as HTML where I can click all the pages as the way exactly you are in the config pages of ATAs.

To save the configuration pages of the Cisco/Linksys adapters (SPA3102, PAP2T, etc) you just login to your device as admin/voice/advanced or admin/advanced and with your web browser (MSIE, FireFox, etc) do a single save to your hard drive as a .htm, .html or .mht file.  Passwords are not saved.  If you want to save your Router settings on the SPA3102 you need to do a separate save for that.  If you ever need to restore the saved file it is a simple modification of the saved file to allow you to restore the file.

I am in California in the U.S.

11 REPLIES

As you know the incoming caller id comes in on the PSTN Line either before or after the first ring.  The PSTN Answer Delay setting with a 3-second recommended delay is to allow the SPA3102 time to decode the incoming caller id before it processes the call.  If you see the caller id on the SPA3102 INFO Tab it is a good indication that the SPA3102 did decode the incoming caller id.

Whether or not you can pass the incoming caller id from the PSTN Line call to the bridged distant location depends to a great extent on how you are forwarding the call.

The SPA3102 has a PSTN-to-VoIP Gateway setting, "PSTN CID For VoIP CID: No/Yes", however the incoming PSTN CID is often only useful on an outgoing sip uri call, because most voip providers will not allow it as part of their authentication process if your bridged call is going to a destination for which your voip provider requires authentication, i.e. going to a PSTN number.

CallCentric, as is common with many/most voip providers, will not let you "spoof" the caller id.  They insist that on an outgoing call you use a caller id associated with your CallCentric account, or for a 3d party number the number needs to have been verified thru their "verification process".  Your preference is an account setting and your calls always use a specified CID number.

If you can have the SPA3102 make a sip uri forwarding call to forward the incoming PSTN line call to the distant location the call will then look like a regular incoming call to the destination voip provider and you should be able to pass the caller id.  For example, if you were forwarding the call to a CallCentric account number your forwarding dial plan would be something like this ... (S0< :1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com>) where 1777xxx... is your callcentric account number.

To make a sip uri call I believe you also need to have the setting "Enable IP Calling: Yes" on the Line 1 Tab.

Hi ..

Thanks a lot for the explanation by taking an genuine interest to understand the issue.

Also good I managed to get the callcentric’s way of working though they have not clearly mentioned this to me when I log calls with them.

All your explanations are fine, but last part I am not really sure how to forward the PSTN call comes to SPA3102 to my far end PAP2T. Yes I use ‘VoIP-To-PSTN Gateway Setup’

As per attached screen shots. (SPA3102.JPG)

Also PAP2T.JPG shows  how my PAP2T setup at far end location.

Basically let me know where should I put ‘(S0:<1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com>)’ setting ? and other associated settings for this to work. My SPA3102 ID is '17772695735'

Note : Also one more thing to mention, Last PSTN Number dispaly in SPA3102 info page is NOT always, Sometimes I see it as BLANK. May be a differnet issue to look at altogether.

Infact I tried like this putting the URI in the under the 'Dial Plan 8:' of the SPA3102.

When like this, (S0:<17772327245@in.callcentric.com>), Call didnt forward to PAP2T.

Hence I had to change the URI slightly as this (S0<:17772327245>@in.callcentric.com>) , tell me whether it is correct.

Now Call goes to my PAP2T farend. However still it is showing the SPA3102 SIP Nimber/ID (17772695735) only, Not the PSTN number passes thru.

But as I said now I am  not seeing the 'Last PSTN number' in my SPA3102 Info page. As I said it works in a funny way. Only time to time. May be this is the reason why it is NOT showing the PSTN at farend PAP2T ?

Hence I had to change the URI slightly as this (S0<:1777nnnnnnn>@in.callcentric.com>) , tell me whether it is correct.

You are correct, the dial plan should be ( S0 <: 1777nnnnnnn@in.callcentric.com> ).  There was a misplaced : in my original posting.  The S0 says set the interdigit short timeout to zero for immediate dialing, the <:nnnnnnnn> says substitute the number after the : and before the final > in the dial string.

I ran a test and the SPA3102 does pass the caller id thru the pstn-to-voip gateway to the distant destination using the sip uri calling format.

As an aside, if one has a problem completing a call to in.callcentric.com, you need to have both "use DNS SRV" and "DNS SRV Auto Prefix" enabled for the proper DNS lookup for in.callcentric.com as outlined on the CallCentric configuration support pages.  An alternative is to place the call thru SipBroker using the SipBroker code for CallCentric   *462177nnnnnnn@sipbroker.com.

If the SPA3102 does not have the incoming caller id it will fall back to the userid configured on the PSTN Line Tab.  I would run a series of tests to gauge the presense of the incoming caller id from your pstn line.  In the U.K. I'm told that the number comes to the SPA3102 FXO port before the first ring and after a polarity reversal.  You can run a sip debug trace and see documentation of the polarity reversal and whether or not the SPA3102 decodes the incoming caller id.

To run a sip debug trace you download and install a syslog program on a local network computer, put the computer's ip address under Debug Server on the SPA3102 System Tab, and on the System Tab you set the Debug Level to 3 and on the PSTN Line Tab, and on the Line 1 Tab, you set the Sip Debug Option to FULL.  Cisco has a simple Windows syslog program here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9862

Hi .

Thanks a lot, I will provide the syslog details from SPA3102 as well as PAP2T soon. I am now understand how to setup it. My SPA3102 is Sri Lanka which uses mostly UK based telephony structure in SL.

Where you based by the way ? if you can share it. (just asking in order to understand your time zone and response ability  to align with mine)

Till I get back to you with all what you recommended, can you let me know how to save all the config pages of from SPA3102 as well as PAP2T? I seen some people saved them as HTML where I can click all the pages as the way exactly you are in the config pages of ATAs.

To save the configuration pages of the Cisco/Linksys adapters (SPA3102, PAP2T, etc) you just login to your device as admin/voice/advanced or admin/advanced and with your web browser (MSIE, FireFox, etc) do a single save to your hard drive as a .htm, .html or .mht file.  Passwords are not saved.  If you want to save your Router settings on the SPA3102 you need to do a separate save for that.  If you ever need to restore the saved file it is a simple modification of the saved file to allow you to restore the file.

I am in California in the U.S.

Hi

Please see attached files for my 2 ATAs’ config pages.

PAP2T.htm

SPA3102.htm

One of my main worry is now SPA3102 is NOT showing the ‘Last PSTN Caller :’ unfortunately. That may be the reason why it is not working with the dial plan you recommended (S0<:1777nnnnnnn>@in.callcentric.com>).

What advise you have here. ?

Also please see the Syslog output for 2 ATAs.

If you look at the syslog ‘syslog.514.SL(SPA3102) 20OCT2013’ it was from my Sri Lanka side SPA3102 as of yesterday. This log you can see the PSTN number correctly picked up under this line (FXO:CNDD Name= Phone=112502507). That time PSTN number used was 0112502507. Now as I said SPA is no more picking the PSTN number any more. For Today’s test for Syslog I used another PSTN number 0332287190. But in the lot it is nowhere picked and even in the SPA info page also shows BLANK under ‘Last PSTN Caller :’ With this you can analyse the

polarity reversal and other relevant parameters.

Today’s Log files attached are ….

syslog.514 (SPA3102) 21OCT2013

syslog.514 (PAP2T) 21OCT2013

I am going to be bit too ambitious here ......

I am not very clear on how to use sipbroker. Once I have done it to talk to one of my other friend who is under a different SIP provider which was successful. But Now I can not remember how I have done it. But for this time, are you saying this ‘*462177nnnnnnn@sipbroker.com.’ to replace in the place of ‘Dial Plan 8’ of my SPA3102 ?

I see two problems.

1.  The bridged call is not going out as a sip uri call it is going out as a regular CallCentric authenticated call.  I believe this is because you did not set "Enable IP Dialing: YES" on the Line 1 Tab. The trace shows the sip invite going to nnnn@callcentric.com instead of nnnn@in.callcentric.com.

2.  The SPA3102 is having trouble decoding the incoming caller id.  You can see the initial polarity reversal signal in the trace. 

On the October 20 trace the call is sent to CallCentric and ringing before there is an indication in the trace of receiving the incoming caller ID.  When it is received it looks like it could be DTMF digits.

On the October 21 trace their is some error conversion code indication

CNDD_ST_SEEK_PREAMBLE error count=1, [0],[1]

CNDD_ST_PREAMBLE error count=0

I am not aware of any settings that affect the receiving and decoding of the incoming caller id on the PSTN Line (FXO port) except for the PSTN Answer Delay which is a time wait before making the bridged call.  You currently have it set for the recommended 3 seconds.  You might try increasing the PSTN Answer Delay to see if that makes any difference.  The incoming Caller ID is an analog signal.  There might be some analog setting that would help, but I don't know what to recommend.  There are a number of settings for the FXS or phone port for sending the signal to that device, however my understanding is the SPA3102 should decode most any caller id signal coming in on the FXO port. 

As for your SipBroker question, there isn't any need to use SipBroker if your call is going to in.callcentric.com OK, which it should when you change the Enable IP Dialing setting.

Hi

Thanks for this…

1.  "Enable IP Dialing: YES" on the Line 1 Tab od SPA. Clarification here. I am forwarding the call comes to FXO port of SPA and there is NO relationship with SPA’s Line 1 right ?. In that case by enabling the IP dialing in Line1, will it help.? Actually I tested and still it is same SIP ID shows in my farend PAP2T connected Panasonic DECT.

2.  Thanks for the analysis of trace log. I honestly cannot understand the error logs you mentioned. 

Anyway…

Yes I actually increased the ‘PSTN Answer Delay’ even around 8 earlier but no help. Seems we are going towards the dark side without much solutions. However I really appreciate all your support and efforts.

What would be the next thought ?

The "Enable IP Dialing" setting is on the Line 1 Tab, however it also applies to the PSTN Line Tab.  They didn't put the setting on the PSTN Line Tab, but you do need it for IP dialing on the PSTN Line Tab.  I ran a test and verified that is true.  The reason you need IP Dialing for the call is to send the Caller ID with the call when configured with a voip provider, and all this assumes the SPA3102 has decoded an incoming caller id. 

In your case you also need the SPA3102 to decode the incoming Sri Lanka caller id and I don't have any positive suggestions for that.  Different countries technically deliver the caller id in a different fashion and I can't find any documentation on how it is done in your country.  It is, however, by definition an analog signal that comes over the two pstn wires.

There are settings on the Regional Tab to tell the SPA3102 how to deliver the caller id to a phone attached to the FXS (Phone) port on the SPA3102.  On an incoming call the SPA3102 would decode the incoming caller id and then re-code the data for delivery to the attached phone.  I do not believe the two decoding/coding are related but I could be mistaken and if they are related the settings on the Regional Tab should match the technique needed for decoding the incoming PSTN Line caller id.

I have seen the following recommendation from One Patrick Born from the same forum under a different subject. Actually after this setting my SPA started giving the “Last PSTN number” field with PSTN number. But it was not consistent and now it is NOT working at all as I mentioned and as you also evident with my trace logs.

Voice tab > Regional tab > Miscellaneous >

Caller ID Method: ETSI DTMF

Caller ID: [try bell 202]

Voice tab > PSTN Line > International Control >

FXO Port Impedance: 270+(750||150nF)

On-Hook Speed: 3 ms(ETSI)

Current Limiting: yes

I assume if my SPA picks the PSTN number, then I am sure all your recomendations will proves us that it is working.

Views
Helpful
Replies