cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 dial out work with traditional phone but not with alarm panel

echosierra147
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SPA112 properly registered with a SIP domain (twilio).  When i plug in a traditional phone, i get dial tone and i can successfully originate calls.  So far as good.

When i connect my alarm panel to the SPA112 and attempt to dial out (i listen in with a butt set) i can hear the panel dial, but the call fails to start and i eventually hear the reorder tone.

I'd really love any input folks can provide.  Please advise and thankyou!

4 Replies 4

Traditionally, alarm panel communication problems are reported to occur with voip after the call is connected, i.e. authenticating and sending the alarm data as voip digital data, not with the initial dialing. In other words, once you get the call to connect you may experience a new set of problems.

In addition, I am sure you are aware that your voip phone isn't going to work if you have a power loss that disables your ata or your internet connection.

If you wish to persue the dialing problem further you should run a syslog sip trace to see what digits the SPA thinks are being dialed, if any, and if the SPA initiates a call by sending a Sip Invite and if so the initiation response.

You can capture a sip trace by installing a syslog program on your pc, putting the pc's ip address under Debug Server, setting the debug level to the highest value, and setting the Sip Debug Option to FULL on the Line Tab.

Thanks for the input - i very much apprecate the response.

I'm prepared to address the voip issues after the call is connected - i'm aware that i'll experience a raft of new issues.  The sip trace is an excellent idea - i'll set that up and report back.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There's nothing like "standard analog line". Whenever you are trying to connect an analog phone device (phone, fax, modem, alarm panel, ...) to you need to verify it's compatible with the peer (PBX, ATA or whatever equipment is the other end of line connected to).

Both ends needs to be configured to connect succesfully.

There are s many possible issues to just guess your's one.

Does SPA112 detect correctly on-hook/off-hook state of alarm panel ? Is dialing method used by alarm panel compatible with SPA112 ?

Check SPA112 status page during dial attempt, turn on syslog&debug messages (highest level) of Voice Application and capture them. It may help with further analysis.

reymundo48
Level 1
Level 1

Hey echosierra147; 

I read your article about 2 weeks ago looking for an answer and I have been through about 20 different forums, support pages, everything! I was able to successfully get ..... now 3 Alarm lines fixed and operating off a Cisco SPA122 where as before my company did not previously offer that type of solution. This should also apply to your spa112. 

The secret Sauce within the Line settings on FW:  Version 1.3.5 (004p)

Network Settings:

Network Jitter Level: Has worked on Both High/Extremely High

Jitter Buffer Adjustment: No

Audio Configuration: 

DTMF Tx Method: Inband+INFO (default is Auto)

DTMF Tx Mode: Normal (default is Strict)

I've also read through posts about T38 needing to be enabled and have it working when enabled and disabled so i will go ahead and label that as a setting that's not needed on an ATA for an alarm line to work. Also want to note that echo Cancellation set to: Yes does not impact the alarm line operation but also saw that setting thrown around in some forums. 

Again, i'm no alarm expert, SIP/VOIP engineer or even understand DTMF in it's entirety but these are the settings that worked for me. 

Cheers, 

RJ Maldonado 

Network Technician