Helpful
Replies

SPA112 not picking up DHCP and cant set via IVR

Sage Major
Level 1
Level 1

Firmware 1.2.1.004

I have 2 spa112's that came back from the field

Neither of them will pick up an ip address via DHCP, I tried on multiple routers.  The ivr 110# says 0.0.0.0

I also tried setting the ip to static via IVR

101# 1# (this sets to static ip)

111# it says is invalid (It should let me set the ip based on page 7 of the manual)

121# it says is invalid (It should let me set the netmask based on page 7 of the manual)

Are these defective?  One was working for 2 weeks the other failed at install time however it did work when we provisioned it.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bacada105
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same issue with the SPA112 as many have described here with not getting a DHCP address. I my environment I have an isolated vlan for voice, because my DHCP server (windows 2008 server) lives on a vlan other then the voice devices I use a DHCP helper IP to proxy the requests to my DHCP server. I could pull an IP without issues when on the same vlan as the DHCP, but once I was on the voice vlan I got nothing. 

I ended up discovering that the SPA112 dose not increment the "elapsed since" (time since the device booted) secs field in the bootp packet. This results in the "elapsed since" timer to always remain 0. After examining my DHCP helper I noticed that it required a value greater then 3 seconds before forwarding the bootp information to the DHCP server. After changing my forward delay value to zero, for my IP helper the device was then able to get an IP address.

I imagine that people experiencing issues with getting IP addresses through DHCP might have DHCP server that require a value greater then zero just as my IP helper did. 

Dose anyone have any ideas on Cisco to release an update to resolve these issues?

View solution in original post

I had a similar problem, i.e. IP of 000.000.000.000, Unable to change to static IP, and connection type blank, (not 0 or 1), even though connected to an ADSL router that saw the device and allocated an IP address and saw the correct MAC address.

The fix was to connect to the LAN port of a Grandstream Handytone 486 which has a DHCP server built in. This successfully set  the IP address. I was then able to use a phone to set a static IP address to match the one the router had issued. When reconnected to the router, I could access the web interface for firmware update, and all is well. Not an easy afternoon!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Begin with reset to factory default

2. be more specific saying "will not pick address". Can you see DHCP discover sent from device to DHCP server ? If yes, can you see DHCP server offer sent in oposite direction ?

it is not sending any messages out.  no ARP no Broadcast nothing. I even set a static ip mapping to its mac in my pc and it would not reply.

I reset one via reset button and one via IVR  Both came back up, hit my provisiong server and worked after that.

I have them both sitting in my lab now to see if this occurs again.

I replaced both customers with PAP2t's the problem is I am almost out of them and the spa112 does not seem like its ready for prime time

Hi Sarge,

Could the SPA112 have received CDP or LLDP from a switch and changed to a VLAN different from where you'd expect?

With respect to your earlier post, when using IVR: 101 to change the connection type, save the setting and hangup after changing the connection type. Now access the IVR again, this time using 111, 121, and so on.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Yes I changed the connection type the hung up and went back in and checked it t see it was on static.  I still could not set a static ip.

As for CDP or LLDP both of these devices were originally behind ADSL modems which do not support those two options.  I then brought them back from the field and plugged them into my lab, both my a T1 (Adtran) and DSL (Comtrend) and they continued to not pick up DHCP, or even request it.

I had a similar problem, i.e. IP of 000.000.000.000, Unable to change to static IP, and connection type blank, (not 0 or 1), even though connected to an ADSL router that saw the device and allocated an IP address and saw the correct MAC address.

The fix was to connect to the LAN port of a Grandstream Handytone 486 which has a DHCP server built in. This successfully set  the IP address. I was then able to use a phone to set a static IP address to match the one the router had issued. When reconnected to the router, I could access the web interface for firmware update, and all is well. Not an easy afternoon!

Adam Handley
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the exact same issue. I have tested the SPA112 from home and it works perfectly via DHCP.

If I plug it in at work it picks up an IP Address from DHCP because I can see it in the scope but on the IVR it just says 0.0.0.0.

If I try it with Static via the IVR it does not change to static, it seems this only seems to work via the HTTP page.

I can get onto the HTTP admin page but when I go to the Network Setup page it freezes. It is definitely related to how our DHCP server gives out the address to the SPA112. It seems like it is only picking up part of the DHCP and not all which is where the issues occur.

Has anyone got any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm guessing it will be a silly tick box within DHCP but it's just finding it.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Sadly, a year later and this might look like thread necromancy but the problem persists.

I bought a SPA112 which I updated with latest firmware but it seems defective 100%.

The IVR 100 function does not give any reply re Internet type, even when Internet type is set and SPA restarted it still refuses to give reply and all other symptoms as mentioned here.

Disappointing as I got it for business use and my business is without a phone

All I can say is - it works for me. May be you missed the response as it's hard to recognize it.

Enter IVR menu. Press 100. Wait until the IVR says one-zero-zero. Press #. IVR will shout "zero".  But it will not help you as code 100 return DHCP settings od WAN interface - and SPA112 has no one.

On SPA122, there are two interfaces - WAN and LAN, IVR codes 1xx are dedicated to WAN interface. IVR codes 2xx are dedicated to LAN interface. There are no WAN interface on SPA112, so 1xx codes are meaningless here. As there are no 2xx codes for network settings, the LAN interface can't be configured by IVR. Just use IVR code 210 to obtain LAN IP address, then use browser to configure the device.

I don't know if it is intentional behavior or not. I don't know if it follow the user's manual or not. But the devices seems to work this way.

I got it for business use and my business is without a phone

Do not overdo, please. Even if you are unable to use DHCP to assign IP address, even if you are unable to set static IP via IVR, the phone still can be configured via WWW according your wishes.

Yes, the SPA1xx is buggy device, there are so many issues with it, but this one is not critical issue that make them impossible to use.

Hi Dan, 

Thanks and I am not overdoing at all, simply put it is not working and I do not have a business phone - see original post in this thread

1) The phone's IP is constantly set to 0.0.0.0 and therefore inaccessible via www

2) Via IVR - to repeat - the 100 command comes up empty (not a question of waiting or anything, just nothing). Even when I change settings via 101 for internet connection, still 100 remains blank. However, note that on the 101 menu, options 1, 3 or 4 are "invalid" and I can only set DCHP (0) or PPPoE (2)

3) The DHCP works but blindly, ie after 5 or more factory resets then I do get a proper IP assigned, then command 100 gives me the reply "0" (which is the default setting of internet connection to DHCP) and then I can use the www panel

4) Firmware is set to last version and box works just fine until for instance modem is rebooted for whatever reason and we go back to square 1)

If this is not evidence of clunky equipment I do not know what is.

Well, no further ideas, sorry. It just works for me ...

One comment I don't quite understand is "...the phone's IP is constantly set to 0.0.0.0...".  The ports on the Cisco 112 are analog aren't they?  You shouldn't be using IP phones connected to those ports because that isn't going to work (and analog phones don't need IP addresses).  Sorry if I misunderstood your statement though.

Adam Handley
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies, I forgot I posted on this thread and didnt update with a solution. Annoyingly the solution for me was the domain controller that was running DHCP was Server 2003. For some unknown reason this created major issues with the SPA112's. We had another site with its own domain controller and DHCP scope which was on Server 2008. I tested on that subnet and it worked without any issues. Since then we have upgraded all out domain controllers to Server 2008 and we have had no issues since.

I hope this helps anyone who is having this issue.

Thanks

Adam

bacada105
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same issue with the SPA112 as many have described here with not getting a DHCP address. I my environment I have an isolated vlan for voice, because my DHCP server (windows 2008 server) lives on a vlan other then the voice devices I use a DHCP helper IP to proxy the requests to my DHCP server. I could pull an IP without issues when on the same vlan as the DHCP, but once I was on the voice vlan I got nothing. 

I ended up discovering that the SPA112 dose not increment the "elapsed since" (time since the device booted) secs field in the bootp packet. This results in the "elapsed since" timer to always remain 0. After examining my DHCP helper I noticed that it required a value greater then 3 seconds before forwarding the bootp information to the DHCP server. After changing my forward delay value to zero, for my IP helper the device was then able to get an IP address.

I imagine that people experiencing issues with getting IP addresses through DHCP might have DHCP server that require a value greater then zero just as my IP helper did. 

Dose anyone have any ideas on Cisco to release an update to resolve these issues?

No new patched firmware unless you will call SMB Support center and report the issue.

Little chance even with it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: