Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 Phone Not Ringing

davidraso
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just installed a new SPA112 (1.0.2), one of the phones connected to it does not ring. There are two phones on the same line, one will ring but the other will not.

The phone that rings is a very basic phone, the one that doesn't is a Motorola L401 cordless phone with answering machine. The headset/base station does not ring and the answering machine does not answer the phone. I tried just using the L401 plugged directly into the SPA112 but still no ring.

The phone does work though, you can pickup the phone and answer a call or dial out, the phone just doesn't ring.

I switched back to my Linksys PAP2 and it all works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jimkeagy
Level 1
Level 1

Compare your ringing voltage, waveform, frequency, etc in the Regional settings between the PAP2 and the SPA112. Some phones are more sensitive to these settings than others.

Ring voltage in the US is around 90V (AC) at 20Hz. This is not an exact science since ringing voltage on a POTS line can vary depending on distance to the CO, line condition. etc. In reality, voltage can be much lower in some cases.

Changing the waveform from Trapezoid to Sinusoid (or the other way around) may help as well. I suspect changing this setting from whatever it is set to now will fix the problem.

If none of this helps, you may have to experiment a bit with the voltage and waveform settings to find one your phones all like. Just don't go much above 90 for the ring voltage since that is the spec in the US.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jimkeagy
Level 1
Level 1

Compare your ringing voltage, waveform, frequency, etc in the Regional settings between the PAP2 and the SPA112. Some phones are more sensitive to these settings than others.

Ring voltage in the US is around 90V (AC) at 20Hz. This is not an exact science since ringing voltage on a POTS line can vary depending on distance to the CO, line condition. etc. In reality, voltage can be much lower in some cases.

Changing the waveform from Trapezoid to Sinusoid (or the other way around) may help as well. I suspect changing this setting from whatever it is set to now will fix the problem.

If none of this helps, you may have to experiment a bit with the voltage and waveform settings to find one your phones all like. Just don't go much above 90 for the ring voltage since that is the spec in the US.

Hi Jim,

Switching the Ring Waveform to Sinusoid fixed it.

The odd thing is the settings did match, that was one of the first things I checked. Now the PAP2 is set to Trapezoid and the SPA112 is set to Sinusoid.

It's working now. Now i'm in the same boat with everyone else and no caller id.

Thanks