Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SPA112 providing dial tone instead of reorder/busy tone

Hi,

I am using a SPA112 with firmware version 1.3.3_015.

After establishing a call from SPA112 to another SIP party and having a conversation, when the other SIP party hangs-up, the SPA112 Line port which is still off hook gets dial-tone instead of busy/reorder tone.

The device I am plugging into the analogue line port is a hands-free device with loudspeaker/microphone that will hangup on two cycles of either busy or reorder tone.
I have never experienced this sort of problem with any of the other ATA devices I have used before including ATA186, SPA2000, SPA2002 or SPA2102.
I always change the Reorder Delay to be zero (default 5 seconds) but all the same, in this case, on hangup, the hands-free user hears an approx 2 second period of silence and then how every many seconds of dial-tone is configured (default is 10) and then 2 cycles of busy/reorder tone which will hangup our device.
The SPA112 analogue line port user experiences the delay and then hears the dial tone followed by busy/reorder tone - it shouldn't work this way.

I have currently configured dial tone to last only 2 seconds which helps a bit but it's still not good enough because it will confuse users as it seems like the start of another outgoing call.

If there is no better solution i will just have to reduce the volume down of the dial tone to say -80dBm and then it probably won't confuse the user.

Best Regards
Tom Paasuke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Gold

Re: SPA112 providing dial tone instead of reorder/busy tone

I analyzed the difference between syslog&debug output from 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 firmware. I found that CPC procedure is started at end of call with 1.3.3 firmware only (note "CPC SLIC_SET_OPEN_STATE on line 0" and "CPC go to CC_CST_IDLE line 0" messages)

There has been long term demand for CPC-like procedure on callers side as it has been implemented on called side only. It seems that prayers have been answered. Unfortunatelly, Cisco forgot to mention the change in 1.3.3 firmware Release Notes nor Administrator Guide has been updated accordingly.

Set CPC Duration to zero to disable CPC. It should solve your's problem.

If yes, mark thread as answered.

Thread was edited by: Dan Lukes - I deleted the part of our conversation caused by my false statement "it just work". The rest of discussion become more readable for others searching for solution of the same problem.

10 REPLIES
VIP Gold

Well, all I can tell you is "it just work for me". So it seems to be either configration issue or matter of interaction between SPA112 and your's particular analog phone.

Lets turn on debug on your SPA112, then catch the debug, syslog and SIP messages. It may help with further analysis.

Hi Dan,

Are you using firmware version 1.3.3_015 ?

Thanks for reply but in my test situation it can't really be configuration or the analogue phone. It happens with two different analogue phone types and the configuration i am using is one i have used successfully previously with other SPA devices.

I had a look at the SysLog Output and the SPA112 device gets the BYE from the other SIP party but after closing down the call it just seems to decide there is a new call request and goes into CC_CST_DIALING state.  The line status does not change and it is still off-hook off from the previous call because the analogue phone is waiting for busy/reorder tone to be played by the SPA112 before it goes on-hook.  The SPA112  just seems to incorrectly decide it is new call request rather than the line simply remaining off-hook from the previous call.

Best Regards

Tom Paasuke

VIP Gold

I'm out of my test lab so I can't verify the firmware version nor retest the case now. But no user reported such kind of problem to me, so I assume we are not affected. Of course, end users are not so reliable source of any information. Unfortunatelly, I can't test it by self  for about two next weeks, sorry.

In the mean time you can attach catched syslog (and debug!) output here. It may or may not help with further analysis.

VIP Gold

Well, I need to say big sorry. I verified the firmware version and it has been 1.3.2. I'm true, it work on 1.3.2. You are true, it doesn't work on 1.3.3.

As I told, I'm out of my test lab, so I'm unable to analyze the issue now.

I will catch syslog&debug messages from call on both 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 firmware as soon as possible. The differences may reveal some important details of the issue.  But I suspect that's firmware bug and there will be no workaround.

Even worse, despite we describe problem here in verbose details, nothing may happen. Those forums are not connected to Cisco's bug-report database.

You may consider downgrade to 1.3.2 as workaround. Check 1.3.3 release notes to decide if a resolved issue is important to you. Note there is severe security issue corrected in 1.3.2 (CSCue58410, not mentioned in release notes), so don't downgrade to pre-1.3.2 versions if you are using SSL-secured style of provisioning.

This also happens on 1.3.2. Here's a report from an affected user:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2251400

My SPA112 has had this problem since I got it, when it was running 1.2, I believe. I upgraded a couple of times, most recently trying 1.3.2 and 1.3.3, hoping that this would be fixed, but I haven't observed any change.

Another user reported this on 1.3.2 last November:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2251400

VIP Gold

The thread you mentioned is matter of misconfiguration on user's side. The CPC feature on called side has been implemented long time ago. And it's behavior is properly described in Administrator Guide, so it's no problem beyond wrong configuration.

This thread is dedicated to problem caused by (undocumented) implementation of CPC for calling side in 1.3.3 firmware.

Fortunatelly, the solution is the same as for called side - CPC needs to be turned off for non-CPC devices.

VIP Gold

I analyzed the difference between syslog&debug output from 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 firmware. I found that CPC procedure is started at end of call with 1.3.3 firmware only (note "CPC SLIC_SET_OPEN_STATE on line 0" and "CPC go to CC_CST_IDLE line 0" messages)

There has been long term demand for CPC-like procedure on callers side as it has been implemented on called side only. It seems that prayers have been answered. Unfortunatelly, Cisco forgot to mention the change in 1.3.3 firmware Release Notes nor Administrator Guide has been updated accordingly.

Set CPC Duration to zero to disable CPC. It should solve your's problem.

If yes, mark thread as answered.

Thread was edited by: Dan Lukes - I deleted the part of our conversation caused by my false statement "it just work". The rest of discussion become more readable for others searching for solution of the same problem.

Hi Dan (the man!!!),

Thanks so much for spending the time to help me and others solve this issue. I would probably have had to just live with this issue but now the SPA112 works as it should and provides reorder tone immediately when the other party hangs-up.

As you mentioned I just had to configure CPC Duration to 0 and it worked.

By the way, perhaps one for Cisco - the Admin manual mentions that the default CPC duration is 0.  In my unit in the original shipped configuration it was 0.5 and the default value created in the sample XML file by the 1.3.3 SPC compiler for windows is also 0.5. If it had been a default of 0 then I and others would not have experienced this problem.

Best Regards

Tom Paasuke

VIP Gold

Admin manual mentions that the default CPC duration is 0.  In my unit in  the original shipped configuration it was 0.5 and the default value  created in the sample XML file by the 1.3.3 SPC compiler for windows is  also 0.5.

Yes, I considered documetation related to default value of the option in question as suspicious too. But I has been to lazy to reset a phone to factory-default to verify it. In advance, although I'm Cisco VIP, I know no way to report such kind of Cisco's bug to Cisco, so I considered such analysis as waste of time.

Speaking for myself, the 0 (CPC disabled) sound more appropriate default for casual environment, but I'm not against any value if properly documented.

I'm configuring all the options in our configuration files. As undocumented changes are not so rare with Cisco, this approach make us resistent to unpublished changes of default values ...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content