Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

SPA112 - Unable to set time

Hello,

For some reason I have not been able to set the correct time on my SPA112. When trying to use the "Time Zone" section, whether on Manual or Auto Time Server, it doesn't work. For Manual Time Server I have tried us.pool.ntp.org, ca.pool.ntp.org, pool.ntp.org. No matter what time zone I choose, it doesn't affect the time (I am EST btw).

Even if I enter the time in the "User Manual" section, it quickly reverts to the wrong time after a few seconds. It won't hold. For some reason the time will also revert to 4 hours ahead. 

What is causing this to happen and how can I remedy it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Gold

Yeah, I remember it. I has

Yeah, I remember it. I has been affected by it few years ago, but as we decided to use NTP server I forgotten it.

Yes, the Payton firmware devices have very creative approach to time settings. It seems that the firmware authors are unsure the time UTC or local all the times.

During bootstrap, the time is taken as-is from RTC chip. As configuration file become parsed, the time is considered to be local and it's recalculated to UTC using user defined timezone offset found in configuration.

Well, I'm not sure with exact logic, but be sure it's broken. It's hard to set time manually (and survive reboot with correct time still set) unless UTC time zone and no daylightsaving is configured.

Issue affects the bootstrap even with NTP enabled, but the incorrect time introduced by boot become corrected by NTP so it doesn't harm so much.

As you wish to use NTP, forgot the manual settings, lets debug the NTP.

The best NTP server for the purpose of debugging is nearest NTP. I have no information related to your topology. Have your's ISP a NTP server ready for you ? Even your local router (the router connecting your network to the upstream) may run NTP server.

Most "NTP not working" issues are network related. Like a firewall, NAT conflicts or so ...

14 REPLIES
Community Member

so, a couple things to check

so, a couple things to check.

is dns set correctly?  can the ATA resolve us.pool.ntp.org?

is the device on current firmware 1.3.3 (I think)?

Is the device provisioned?  That could change the config. 

check voip-->provisioning --> profile rule

if it is anything other than spa$psn.cfg. in the profile rule, your device is provisioned, and the provider needs to change the time zone.

go into the gui, get the config from this URL   http://ip.of.ata/admin/config.xml  ; and attach to the case  (you might want to remove the lines proxy_1 and user_id)

exactly 4 hours seems suspicious, are you sure it's not set for pacific time?

Dan

Community Member

Hello Dan thank you for your

Hello Dan thank you for your reply.

1) dont know where to check DNS or how to test if the ATA can resolve us.pool.ntp.org. I can tell you however that my computer can ping us.pool.ntp.org.

2) Latest firmware 1.3.3

3) Device is not provisioned (my profile rule is "/spa$PSN.cfg")

4) Attached config.xml file

Remember, even if I choose to manually enter the time, it will not hold and revert back to 4 hours ahead. 

Community Member

Just wanted to update this

Just wanted to update this thread. I got in contact with Cisco tech support. Went through all the troubleshooting and it was concluded that my device may be defective. I set up an RMA, sent the device in, and received a new one. Guess what? EXACT same problem! I have since updated to latest 1.3.5 firmware with no luck. This has to be a bug and I'm surprised I can't find others with the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Community Member

Forgot to add, my voip

Forgot to add, my voip service is with voip.ms if that helps.

VIP Gold

"Set up RMA" is next to most

"Set up RMA" is next to most common reply to "bug is on your side" response. Such replies are used by them regardless the issue you have. It's almost impossible that the issue you described has been caused by defective device (unless you have other severe issues at the same time). It's rather configuration issue.

Relevant part of your setup:

<Time_Setup>
<Time_Zone>-05 2 1</Time_Zone>
<Auto_Adjust_Clock>1</Auto_Adjust_Clock>
<Time_Server_Mode>manual</Time_Server_Mode>
<!--  options: auto/manual  -->
<Time_Server>ca.pool.ntp.org</Time_Server>
<Resync_Timer>3600</Resync_Timer>
<Auto_Recovery_System_Time>1</Auto_Recovery_System_Time>
<Time_Mode>0</Time_Mode>
<!--  options: 0:Manual, 1:Auto  -->
</Time_Setup>

Time_Zone: -05 2 1

is "(GMT‐05:00) Eastern Time (USA & Canada )"

You mentioned you are EST so it seems to be correct.

So it will not be as easy. Now I would like to focus to this part of your description:

Even if I enter the time in the "User Manual" section, it quickly reverts to the wrong time after a few seconds. It won't hold. For some reason the time will also revert to 4 hours ahead. 

It seems you are mentioning two issues - "it reverts to wrong time" and "time will also revert to 4 hours ahead". I don't understand it in full. Can you explain what revert to wrong time in advance of time reverted 4 hours ahead ? Or I just don't understand it correctly and time 4 hours ahead is the only issue ?

The best way to analyze the problem is to turn on syslog&debug messages and catch them as well as all SIP and NTP packets. It should reveal what's the cause of time shift.

Also, don't use pool addresses of NTP during the test. You didn't know what exact server has been selected by device. For example, current ca.pool.ntp.org contain four servers:

1. ntp2.tranzeo.com
  2. ntp4.tranzeo.com
  3. zero.gotroot.ca 
  4. noc.digibase.ca

But the [4] is out of service. The same apply for us.pool.ntp.org - the 66.228.54.198 server is not responding at all. Using either ca.pool.ntp.org or us.pool.ntp.org you have chance 3:1 to select out-of-service server.

At least during the test you should use reliable single-address, verified to be working, NTP server.

Community Member

Hi Dan,Before I clarify what

Hi Dan,

Before I clarify what I meant about the "User Manual" under "Time Settings", I want to point out that the time discrepancy is now 5 hours ahead (not 4 as originally stated). I suspect the reason why this changed is because of DST changing since the last time I reported this 6 months ago. Either way, the problem remains where time is incorrectly displayed.

Now, let me clarify what I meant. When I manually set the time, the change takes place and holds for few seconds and sometimes up to a few minutes. Then all of a sudden the time will change on it's own to 5 hours ahead. Also, when I attempt to set the time using the auto setting via NTP server, it doesn't even work. The time stays as is which is 5 hours ahead. Hope that helps clarify my problem.

As for the ntp server setting, what ntp server do you recommend then? 

In the meantime, I will enable logging and report back. Thanks.

Community Member

Attached is the log. I have

Here is the log. I have also copy/pasted it below:

Jan 27 10:00:02 SPA112 syslog.notice syslog-ng[584]: syslog-ng version 1.6.12 going down

Jan 27 10:00:10 SPA112 syslog.notice syslog-ng[631]: syslog-ng version 1.6.12 starting

Jan 27 10:00:54 SPA112 daemon.info system[116]: MemTotal: 28416 kB

Jan 27 10:00:56 SPA112 daemon.info system[116]: MemFree: 9336 kB

Jan 27 15:06:07 SPA112 daemon.info system[116]: MemTotal: 28416 kB

Jan 27 15:06:07 SPA112 syslog.notice syslog-ng[631]: STATS: dropped 0

Jan 27 15:06:08 SPA112 daemon.info system[116]: MemFree: 9348 kB

As you can see, it took 6 minutes for the time to change. This happened on it's own. It went from 10:00:56 to 15:06:07 (5 hours ahead). It doesn't appear to reference what caused this change in the log other than "STATS: dropped 0".

VIP Gold

Yeah, I remember it. I has

Yeah, I remember it. I has been affected by it few years ago, but as we decided to use NTP server I forgotten it.

Yes, the Payton firmware devices have very creative approach to time settings. It seems that the firmware authors are unsure the time UTC or local all the times.

During bootstrap, the time is taken as-is from RTC chip. As configuration file become parsed, the time is considered to be local and it's recalculated to UTC using user defined timezone offset found in configuration.

Well, I'm not sure with exact logic, but be sure it's broken. It's hard to set time manually (and survive reboot with correct time still set) unless UTC time zone and no daylightsaving is configured.

Issue affects the bootstrap even with NTP enabled, but the incorrect time introduced by boot become corrected by NTP so it doesn't harm so much.

As you wish to use NTP, forgot the manual settings, lets debug the NTP.

The best NTP server for the purpose of debugging is nearest NTP. I have no information related to your topology. Have your's ISP a NTP server ready for you ? Even your local router (the router connecting your network to the upstream) may run NTP server.

Most "NTP not working" issues are network related. Like a firewall, NAT conflicts or so ...

Community Member

Got it working!I entered my

Got it working!

I entered my ISP's NTP server in the config and it finally took hold and now the time is correct again.

Jan 27 13:06:53 SPA112 daemon.notice system[116]: NTP update successfully, Year:2015,Month:1,Day:27,Hour:13,Min:6,Sec:53

Thanks Dan for the ideas and help...much appreciated!

VIP Gold

May be your ISP doesn't allow

May be your ISP doesn't allow connections to non-local NTP servers.

OK, glad to hear you solved the issue.

Rate useful advices and/or mark an answer as correct, if applicable. It will help others to found solutions.

By the way, the same advices should be supplied by Cisco's support guy instead of "do RMA" that's almost impossible to be solution of such kind of issue. Sorry to saying it, but I wish you didn't wasted your money buying SmartNET contract ...

Related: SPA112 ignores set time zone and always uses GMT.

Community Member

I just cannot get this issue

I just cannot get this issue resolved. Can you walk me through the steps you took to get this to work? 

VIP Gold

Unfortunately, you didn't

Unfortunately, you didn't specified the goal. As I know no target state you wish to reach, I can't write exact steps, just generic advice - decide what timezone you wish to set, then set it. Configure and use NTP server. Make sure the NTP is working.

Community Member

I had the exact same issues

I had the exact same issues as you and using the same voip provider too. No matter what I try, the time reverts to +4

Using 0.pool.ntp.org

At present, my router time shows a +4 hour difference. I'm at GMT -5 (Eastern Time Montreal)

Therefore, please walk me through the steps you took to resolve this issue.

VIP Gold

There's no know issue related

There's no know issue related to time as long as you are using NTP. So no way you have the same issue as the . Its issue has been solved by NTP. So if you have issues even with NTP, you are affected by different issue.

I'm unsure what instruction you wish - just open SPA122 configuration page then  configure the timezone (Eastern time) and NTP server. Leave others on default values.

If you configured it and it still not work, provide screenshot of configuration page.

Make sure the selected NTP server is reachable to the device. No one else can tell it to you - it depend on overall network configuration including possible firewall on either your side or ISP side. So ask your network administrator for help if necessary.

I assume you are running most recent firmware.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content