cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA122 call waiting Panasonic assign button

macyman59
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where call waiting works, second caller shows on my phone (Panasonic KX-TG8061JT) display....however, Panasonic manual indicates to press ECO/R button (corresponds

to flash button) to respond to second call - but it does not work! I called Panasonic and they say

that certain features do not work on VOIP calls. So, which leads me to my question: is there anyway to configure SPA122 adapter allowing it to press a certain button on the Panasonic phone that would enable it to answer call waiting? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It seems the flash event is not transmitted to upstream at all. While we don't know method supported by upstream, just try other possible settings. Or ask PBX administrator to discover supported method (if any).

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's between phone and PBX, not the adapter. Panasonic phone assumes that flash triggers particular response on PBX side. While it's true for Panasonic PBX, it seems not to be true for your current PBX. At least with current configuration.

Reconfigure your PBX to process flash signal the way your wish for - if possible. SPA122 has nothing to do with it, it's just analog<->SIP adapter.

thanks...but  not quite sure how to configure pbx

Read documentation, ask it's administrator or support. ;-)

Or try other approach - discover what procedure is required on your PBX to switch between calls. We can try to discover a way to initiate such procedure from your's Panasonic phone then.

administrator/support say it's a Panasonic problem, not them.

How can I discover on my Panasonic phone?

It's cheap to say "the problem is elsewhere" and it's most common reply from administrator not willing to help.

I'm unable to dispute with the administrator in question as I have no access to logs, debug outputs and other records of your PBX. Not I know the PBX model and it';s configuration.

There is not so much I can do for you. At the first, enable syslog&debug messages on SPA122, highest level possible and capture them. Also, capture SIP dialog as well as RTP stream related test call. Attach captured log (it's text file) and captured packets (it's binary, thus rename .pcap extension to .pcap.txt or you will be unable to attach it) here. I will be able to verify the 'flash' event has been sent to PBX then. If yes, then it's up to PBX to process it accordingly (or PBX administrator need to specify which form of event is required to trigger required service). If no, then PBX administrator is true, we need to solve the issue.

Please note that both syslog and packets carry sensitive data (caller/calling number, IP addresses, configuration details or so, RTP stream carry audio so anyone can listen call content). It doesn't contain passwords in clear text form.

sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I was gone for a few days and tried getting

this info using Wireshark (thought it would be easier...am using a Mac) - but to tell you

the truth not quite how to go about doing this. I installed wireshark and connected ata to my

mac - not sure how to capture exactly using wireshark as there are so many options.

Sorry...kind of a newbie to getting this syslog info for you.

Thanks for your help

I'm unsure about the network topology we are speaking of. For the purpose of packet capture, ATA still needs to have connectivity to upstream PBX. You mentioned you connected SPA122 to your MAC directly - so is it still able to register to PBX ? If yes, then you need to capture just all packets to and from SPA122. Use filter 'host 1.2.3.4' where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address used by SPA112.1.jpg

ok..I hope I did this right. Did it twice - not sure which one works for you

Thanks

Unfortunately, no. According content of the file, you captured data on LAN side of SPA112. It's internal network. But we need to capture communication from SPA122 to outside - thus you need to capture WAN port traffic instead. It require computer connected on WAN side and properly configured network switch (so capturing computer will receive data required).

Ask your local network administrator for help - he will understand what I'm speaking about.

sorry but I don't really have an administrator - I kind of do everything myself. It is getting a little too complicated, but thanks anyway. I can tell you that I have the exact same number/provider/pbx on

a cisco spa504g and call waiting does indeed work on that phone. While I am on the phone, if another call comes in, I simply press the answer button and it puts the first call on hold, when I press it again I return to the first call and the second incoming

call goes on hold. So....I guess the pbx does work - it's just this pstn panasonic phone that doesn't

do it. I was hoping I could configure the panasonic phone in some way...but thanks anyway for all

your precious help---you are very knowledgeable !

SPA604G is native SIP phone. It can accept multiple calls at the same time and switch between them. It have no analog flash at all.

Analog phone is not reusable - just one call can be on-line. Analog phone can trigger flash event which is transmitted to softswitch (various method, you need to configure a supported one) and needs to be processed here.

I'm pretty sure the issue can be solved - but with no log messages and no softswitch documentation we can just blindly guess. We even don't know the phone's flash is recognized by SPA122 ...

Related configuration settings (read Administrator's guide for description):

Hook Flash Tx Method, Hook Flash MIME Type , Referral Services Codes, Hook Flash Timer Min, Hook Flash Timer Max

Hook flash tx method on spa122 indicates: NONE.

That's all I found in the meantime

Thanks

It seems the flash event is not transmitted to upstream at all. While we don't know method supported by upstream, just try other possible settings. Or ask PBX administrator to discover supported method (if any).

Hi there...ok you gave me a good lead ! I changed the flash method to avt & modified hook flash timer min/max---now it works!!!  Thanks !!!

One more question....when I dial a number there is dead silence for a good 6-8 seconds before I hear

a ring from the phone I am calling.

Is there anyway to reduce this to almost zero wait time?

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: