Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SPA122 Echo

We are experiencing an echo on some call through any SPA122.

We plugged in a 2102 and 122 for testing made back to back calls using the same Internet the same carrier and phone and only the SPA122 had the echo.

The echo is the calling part hearing themselves.

The settings in each are basically identical.

EXCEPT

we noticed the 2102 has:

Echo Canc Enable: Yes

Echo Canc Adapt Enable: Yes

Echo Supp Enable: Yes

and the SPA12

Why did Cisco remove the 2cnd two echo canceler's?

I did try lowering the FXS but it as well did not help,

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• ATAs Gateways and Accessories
5 REPLIES
VIP Gold

Re: SPA122 Echo

No answer, but some references that may or may not help.

Recognizing and Categorizing Symptoms of Voice Quality Problems

Reducing the Echo on the PSTN line of SPA3102 - it may apply to SPA122 as well (difference between SPA3102 and SPA122 may be caused by difference of default values you never modified; SPA122 defaults may not be correct for your particular environment or SPA112 hardware may be more sensitive to incorrect settings than SPA3102).

You claimed you are experiencing echo on SOME calls. So, good question seems to be: What's the difference between call experiencing echo compared with those without echo ?

By the way - it would be better to reveal some details of your's configuration and environment beyond claim "it's same". For example we don't know the call's next hop (PSTN /  SIP), we don't know the codec used (if passed to SIP), we don't know you  are experiencing listener echo, talker echo or both ...

Dan,

Unfortantly the links reference the now missing -

Echo Canc Adapt Enable: Yes

Echo Supp Enable: Yes

Any chance Cisco will chime in?

VIP Gold

I'm sorry, my English skills are so basic to understand what you are saying here.

Did you tried to follow Reducing the Echo on the PSTN line of SPA3102 (of course, references to configuration values that don't exist on SPA122 needs to be ignored) ? What result ? Did you identified what type of calls is experiencing echo (you claimed not all calls are affected) ?

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply-

The article you referenced is refering to an issue one may have when using his PSTN via sip through his spa3102.

The spa122 is a SIP only device.

As I mentioned in the first post the echo canceler that Sipura/Linksys/Cisco included on there previous spa products is no longer present on the SPA122.

The reason I wrote on some calls is many carriers have an echo canceller built in on their end.

Thanks

VIP Gold

Damn, I missed that SPA122 has no FXO port. Sorry.

As I mentioned in the first post the echo canceler that Sipura/Linksys/Cisco included on there previous spa products is no longer present on the SPA122.

I can't confirm nor deny your conclusion. Missing option may not mean missing echo canceller, it just may not be configurable. I suspect there has been no three independent echo cancellers even on SPA2102 - I assume there has been one with three configurable options. In the SPA122 is one echo canceller as well, but less configurable.

The reason I wrote on some calls is many carriers have an echo canceller built in on their end.

Far end echo canceller will not eliminate near end talker echo so much. You didn't revealed you are experiencing listener echo or talker echo (or both).

Well, if you verified that FXS port impedance adn other POTS line parameters are set correctly, I have no other advice for you now. May be someone else will help you better. Sorry.

Views
Helpful
Replies