cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

**SPA2102 FIRMWARE UPGRADE PROBLEM WITH 5.2.12

kkaizumi123
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems loading firmware 5.2.12 onto my SP2102-R ATA.  I have my laptop PC running Windows 7 directly with an ethernet cable from my laptop to the ethernet connection on the back of the SPA2102.  I run the .bin file and In order to get the software to the upgrade stage I have to enter ****, 73738 1# to move to the next stage.  I have now been waiting for 1/2 hour waiting for firmware download request from SPA.  IT DOESN'T GET PASS THIS STAGE.......CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHAT I'M DOING WRONG OR WHAT I NEED TO DO DIFFERENT?

Thanks......

8 Replies 8

JeffInAlberta
Level 1
Level 1

Based on my experience with the SPA2102-NA, it is not necessary to do a factory reset (*73738) in order to perform a firmware upgrade/downgrade.

However, now that you have done so, any and all previous user settings will have been reset to the original factory settings (including user set passwords - assuming your ATA is an un-locked SPA2102-NA).

If you think the firmware 5.2.12 is faulty, then repeat the upgrade/downgrade process by downgrading back to an earlier version:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414111&softwareid=282463187&release=5.2.12&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

If you are still having problems, see if this tutorial will reveal any procedural issues:

http://blog.cqvoip.net/2009/12/linksys-cisco-spa2102-updating-firmware.html

Regards,

Jeff - cqvoip.net

Jeff, thanks for providing with the info in your email, but I'm still getting the same problem where it keeps searching with the message "Waiting for firmware dowload request from SPA"!  I downloaded version 5.2.10 unzipped the file, ran the upg-spa2102 bin file.  I get to where it prompts me for a password, then I have to enter 73738 1#, then it goes to the upgrade screen and then hangs after that.......any other thoughts?  I have my Windows 7 machine with ethernet cable directly in the back of the ethernet port of the SPA2102...

Kraig, I am puzzled as to why it is requiring you to enter 73738 (for factory reset).

I can only conclude that the SPA2102 is not an unlocked box and wants to perhaps reset and attempt to find ftp server on Internet of service provider who provisioned the box.  Otherwise, I really have not seen this problem with any of my SPA2102-NA boxes, and don't know the answer.  Sorry.

Jeff, thanks for providing with the info in your email, but I'm still

getting the same problem where it keeps searching with the message

"Waiting for firmware dowload request from SPA"! I downloaded version

5.2.10 unzipped the file, ran the upg-spa2102 bin file. I get to where it

prompts me for a password, then I have to enter 73738 1#, then it goes to

the upgrade screen and then hangs after that.......any other thoughts? I

have my Windows 7 machine with ethernet cable directly in the back of the

ethernet port of the SPA2102...

Kraig Kaizumi

P.O. Box 520494

Salt Lake City, UT. 84152-0494

Residence: 801.487.4173

Mobile: 801.680.2222

Email: kraigka@msn.com

On 5/15/11 10:11 AM, "JeffInAlberta"

A lot of times on the SPA Devices if it is asking for a password then the device has been locked or provisioned by the provider. You would have to know

the correct password that was put on the device to be able to unlock it. The 73738 code is the IVR code that resets the device back to factory defaults

THANKS

The SPA2102 is a Qwest Communications ATA.  When I talk with their VoIP Tech Support folks they said it should be unlocked.  I've tried numerous combination of the password like "admin, user, and password", but these don't work!  I've tried different user names besides the admin default it originally pops up with like "user", but again that doesn't work.  In order for me to gain access to the SPA2102, I have to keep entering 73738 1#. 

Any other thoughts or does anyone have the password for this Qwest ATA?  Thanks!

Kraig,

If there is a password on this device from qwest and they won't give it to you then there is not much you can do to get into the device.

Once a provider provisions the device and places a password on it, they are the only ones that can get into the device.

CaptainDonJuane
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco: Why to you make signing up here more difficult than my bank account?

Users:  To stop receiving the message "waiting for firmware download request from spa", have you tried this:

1- spend hours setting off firewalls and checking AV software to try to find why the firmware won't upgrade

2- realize the problem is an oversight on your part:

Login in as advanced admin user

Go to voice tab

go to Provisioning tab.

Under the section "Firmware Upgrade" make sure "Upgrade Enable:" is set to yes.

Commit changes.

Try the firmware upgrade again.

I just wasted hours on this!   I hope I save you time.   (Not sure which is harder, the firmware upgrade or trying to get registered on this website LOL.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: