Views
Helpful
Replies

spa3102 & CID

kabelnet2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured my SPA3102 to handle CID on PSTN line. In our country the standard is ETSI FSK + V23. Everything is working fine - during a few calls or on first day. After that the 'Private caller' string is displayed on the phone, no caller id displayed on WEB information screen. If I switch off and on the device (SPA3102), the CID is displayed again during a few calls.

I use the latest firmware (5.1.10).

I hope, someone can help me.

Regards, kabelnet (Tamás Borlay)

96 Replies 96

the pstn line provider has the following info posted on their site

ETSI ES 201 235-3      
Access and terminals (AT) specification of Dual –Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) Transmitters and receivers; Part 3 Receivers.

thats the only info available and the impedance is 600, the reason i say this is because i have read on voxilla by other users also.

although the pstn line providers site says DTMF but i contacted the company and they said they use FSK and thats the only info i got out of them and i also use a LG Nortel phone and on it it says caller id = FSK (Type 1) and it works perfectly fine with my line in decoding caller id.

mayb some1 more experienced in caller id standards can explain what exactly is the standard when a device says FSK type 1 compatible.

Thanks for this information Bipin.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Tamás,

Looking over your configuration, I see that Voice tab > PSTN Line tab > FXO Timer Values (sec) > PSTN Ring Thru Delay: 1

This setting is extremely short for the device to properly receive caller id.

Please change it to 5 and test a few times. If caller id shows every time, even after use, then reduce to 4 and test again, reducing until caller id fails.

Once caller id fails, change the setting to 1 second more than when it failed and all should be good.

Please test this and let me know.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

It seams, that it has no effect to the problem. I tried several values (1-9) with and without switch off/on the device, but the result was the same as the original situation: after the reset the first received call was fine but the others resulted 'Private caller' only.

The Ring thru delay = 1 value was the original one, I did not change it during setup.

Regards, Tamás

Hi Tamás,

Thanks for testing this for me.

I am out of ideas for now and have requested support from Engineering.

Do you have any way to verify that caller id is always presented on your PSTN line please? Perhaps connect an analog phone that can display caller id and make several calls and verify that caller id is always displayed.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

hi,

yes the caller id works everytime on my phone connected to the PSTN line, i use a LG Nortel phone as well as a Siemens Gigaset and my 3Com dialup modem also displays caller id everytime.

my PSTN provider is called Etisalat and i think they use telcordia servers for PSTN and they use FSK caller id standard and after lot of testing, the spa3102 doesnt show any sign of polarity reversal when sending caller id.

when the PSTN wire is connected to the FXO port then the voltage is shown as -49 which i dont think should be an issue as the spa works with negative voltage also. Please let me know if those tip ring voltage etc such settings affect it or no.

Regards,

Bipin

Hi Patrick,

Before SPA3102 my Panasonic DECT phone was connected directly to PSTN. It displayed always the caller id (if it was enabled on the caller side). I assigned different sound to different callers, etc. And it was working.

Now it is working after a rest, to the end of first call. I suppose, that something is not restored to basic status, therefore next time the caller ID is missing.

I asked my telecom about CID. The answer was 'ETSI FSK with Ringing Pulse Altering Signal, V23'. The tone parameters were get from http://www.3amsystems.com/wireline/tone-search.htm .

I hope, there will be any solution.

Regards, Tamás

Hi Tamás,

"Now it is working after a rest, to the end of first call. I suppose, that something is not restored to basic status, therefore next time the caller ID is missing."

Are you saying that your Panasonic DECT phone only displays caller id for the first call?

What country is the SPA3102 located in? Who is the PSTN provider please?

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, if I was not clear.

Panasonic displays the CID if it is connected directly to PSTN. Everytime.

It displays the CID only until the end of first call, if it is connected to SPA3102.

My country is Hungary, telecom is T-Home.

Regards, Tamás

Hi Tamás,

Thanks for the clarification.

While analyzing your log files, Engineering noticed log entries indicating firmware versions 3.36 and 5.1.10.

Can you confirm:

• Which version are you currently using?
  • Are you experiencing caller id issues with both versions of firmware?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

The 3.36 was the original firmware with which I bought the device.

When I detected the CID problem, I downloaded and installed the latest available firmware. This was 5.1.10. The CID problem was detected in both versions.

Now I use 5.1.10.

Tamás

Hi Tamás,

Thanks for the information.

I escalated the issue to Engineering and they feel that the caller id problems could be a result of conflicting configuration parameters.

Can you please try the following:

Save your SPA3102's configuration

Factory reset the SPA3102

Configure the least parameters in order to get the SPA3102 working

Make 5 inbound calls and verify that caller id works on both the SPA3102 and on an analog phone

Assuming that caller id is now received each time that information is displayed on an analog phone, make one change at a time and then test with 5 inbound calls, until you are done, or the SPA3102 stops receiving caller id.

Please let me know of your progress.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

Today morning I made the 'big test':

1. Factory reset (73738), set WAN, LAN, allow remote management
2. I added Voip proxy and login. It registered successfully.
3. First test: 1st call: CID OK, 2nd call NO CID!!!!!

After that, I think no other test is needed. But I restored the original parameters step by step, and tested the CID after the steps.

4. Restored dial plan (it has no effect to incoming calls) and caller id method ETSK FSK, V23.
5. Reset, test (I started the syslog server now. Sorry.). The same problem: CID is displayed at the 1st call only.
6. Restored the line parameters (220+820/120nF), disconnect tone and other tones at regional settings.
7. Reset, test, same problem.
8. I restored the original configuration.

Any suggestion?

Regards, Tamás

(I attached the log of the test.)

Hi Tamás,

Thanks for testing so thoroughly. For completeness, can you please save the device's configuration again for me.

Once I have your configuration, I'll send the syslog and current configuration to Escalation Engineering to see if they have any suggestions.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: