Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA3102 firmware upgrade error

lenticularguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Though I've used my SPA3102 for a couple of years, it has recently become problematic. I can hear occasional audible clicking from the device which is associated with a red light flashing briefly on the power LED. If I'm on the phone at the time, the call is terminated.

I'm hoping that a firmware upgrade will address the issue, but I've been unable to upgrade from 3.3.6 (GW). Though I'm on a Mac, I don't understand the firmware upgrade method using http or tftp. Fortunately, I run Windows XP on Parallels Desktop for Mac and have been able to run the upg-spa3102-5-1-10-GW.exe program. However, a message appears: SPA firmware upgrade error > Upgrade failed: No response from SPA.

Reading various forum posts on similar such problems I'm yet to find the solution.

I've turned off the firewall on my Mac, the ADSL router (D-Link DSL 504T) and Windows XP.

I've confirmed  the SPA IP address is 10.1.1.3

I've ensured that firmware upgrade is enabled in Provisioning of the SPA's configuration.

I'd greatly appreciate some assistance please.

Thanks,

Bart

3 Replies 3

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bart,

The red LED and clicking could be an indication of a dip in power to the SPA3102's power supply, this would cause the SPA3012 relay to chatter. Consider trying a cleaner power source such as a UPS if this becomes more problematic.

There are two methods to upgrade the SPA3102, I'll describe both:

1. Run the upg-spa3102-5-1-10-GW.exe Windows utility

a. Make sure that the SPA3102 INTERNET port is connected to your network switch or hub.

b. Make sure that the computer is connected to the network switch or hub

c. You need the INTERNET IP address of the SPA3102, connect an analog phone to the Phone port, dial **** then 110#, take note of the IP address

d. Ping the IP address from your XP session and verify that you get a response.

e. run the upg-spa3102-5-1-10-GW.exe utility and upgrade

Or

2. Make the spa3102-5-1-10-GW.bin file available via an HTTP or TFTP server. The Apache server is freely available on the Internet.

a. There are several free TFTP servers on the Internet too, for example the SolarWinds TFTP server

b. start the server, I'll assume that you're using a TFTP server

c. move the spa3102-5-1-10-GW.bin file to the server's root, /TFTPROOT if using the SolarWinds TFTP server

d. If on a UNIX system, chmod 444 spa3102-5-1-10-GW.bin [file has to be visible to the TFTP server]

e. Make sure that the SPA3102 INTERNET port is connected to your network switch or hub.

f. Make sure that the computer is connected to the network switch or hub

g. You need the INTERNET IP address of the SPA3102, connect an analog phone to the Phone port, dial **** then 110#, take note of the IP address

h. Ping the IP address from your XP session and verify that you get a response.

i. open a browser and type the following:
               http://SPA3102_IP/admin/upgrade?tftp://TFTP-server_IP/spa3102-5-1-10-GW.bin

where:

- SPA3102_IP is the address noted from 110#

- TFTP-server_IP is the IP address of the TFTP server

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Thanks Patrick.

Though I was able to ping the IP address from XP and verify a response, the upg-spa3102-5-1-10-GW.exe utility still failed because there was "no response from the SPA."

I then decided to try your procedure using the bin file. However, TftpServer for the Mac is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.3 and is unusable.

Therefore, I've unplugged a number of devices from the power board and fingers crossed that will solve the line drop out issue.

Regards,

Bart

Wow - only managed to get it to work the the second method - tftp - (once I got the file name right! )

Tried for ages to use the upgrade exe-file - and couldnt get it to work.

Super with tftp tho- cid is fine now -highly recommended -

thanx Patrick

Windows7 ult - tplink tlwr1043nd (ddwrt)

rgds

Egg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: