Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

I bought this SPA3102 about a year ago.

I'm able to use my ATA, but for Gateway performance... let's say it's crappy. It turn my 20 Mbps connection into at most, 6 Mbps!

So when i bought it, i've decided to keep using my old router, and connect the SPA3102 in one of it's LAN port to use it only for ATA, but no gateway at all.

Now i'm planning to buy a device with 2 FXS that i can setup to different VoIP server. But everytime i see "Cisco", i feel a bit frisky...

If anyone can at least make this SPA3102 as it's supposed to be, maybe i will change my mind about this company.

Any help appreciated.

P.S:

• Cabling is double checked, everything is fine
  • Firmware is the latest, i've checked 2 weeks ago before contacting Cisco (that didn't dare to reply).

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Gold

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

No, the notification you received has been related to your original question, not by a response.

Yes, the forum is buggy - all email notifications sent from here are mis-assigned to Cindy. I reported the problem to supportforums-info@cisco.com on 14 Jan 2014 22:27:42 +0100 but I got no response yet.

According your original question, I can say nothing about SPA3102 as I have no experience with it. But current model of two port ATA without router is SPA112.

But if I can express my personal opinion ... buy the PAP2T, even used or refurbished. Althougth PAP2T is EOL, I trust them more than SPA112. Yes, Cisco is working hard to make new SPA112 as stable and reliable as former PAP2T, but it's still just work in progress. Just my $0.02, of course.

Beware of customized/locked PAP2T devices - they are locked to particular VoIP operator. You need "open" device. But the same apply to SPA112, SPA3102 and other SPAxxx as well.

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

Hello Christian,

those devices (spa2102, 3102) are older technology, and do not have high router performance.

testing in the lab shows less than about 5 mbps.

the spa122 and 232d ( the replacement for the spa3102 ) will do about 11-15 mbps.

You are right, if you're looking for better performance, use a dedicated router in front of the ATA

or the next step up in this line is the SRP500 series.

The spa3102 is a pretty good voip device, supporting fax, pstn gateway, voip gateway, etc.

Dan is right tho, if a device is provisioned by a VOIP provider, and locked down, it is difficult or (if they did it right) impossible to unlock without the password or the provider unlocking it.

dlm...

Gold

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

Christian,

A little more information regarding your question:

Some of the Cisco ATAs have built in router functionality for the very rare cases where the customer does not have a router. Since the ATA would be connected directly to the DSL/Cable modem, the customer would have no place to plug in a computer.

The router in these devices is rarely used and it is recommended to use an external router or router/modem from the ISP for best performance. If another router is available, the ATA should ALWAYS be connected behind that router, not directly to the modem. This is especially true if there is more than one PC or other device on the LAN.

- Marty

7 REPLIES

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

I've just got an email saying that i've got a reply from Cindy Toy, but when i get here, i don't see any reply, neither public or private.  Problems with the forum?

VIP Gold

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

No, the notification you received has been related to your original question, not by a response.

Yes, the forum is buggy - all email notifications sent from here are mis-assigned to Cindy. I reported the problem to supportforums-info@cisco.com on 14 Jan 2014 22:27:42 +0100 but I got no response yet.

According your original question, I can say nothing about SPA3102 as I have no experience with it. But current model of two port ATA without router is SPA112.

But if I can express my personal opinion ... buy the PAP2T, even used or refurbished. Althougth PAP2T is EOL, I trust them more than SPA112. Yes, Cisco is working hard to make new SPA112 as stable and reliable as former PAP2T, but it's still just work in progress. Just my $0.02, of course.

Beware of customized/locked PAP2T devices - they are locked to particular VoIP operator. You need "open" device. But the same apply to SPA112, SPA3102 and other SPAxxx as well.

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

i don't like much to buy used stuff.   It's strange that Cisco doesn't provide new models that can cope with today connections.  I'll give a try to the 232d model.  But i won't use it as a router.  (Might try it as a router, but based on M. Miley comment, i idoubt i'll keep using it like this)

I just hate when they trow up numbers like 100 Mbps ports when the truth is that if you reach 15 mbps with them, that's because you are lucky.  That's false representation.  I'm not saying that they are the only one doing this.  Hard Disk companies does the same too (I've seen many SATA3 HD with poor performances).

I wonder if i'm the only one who still use a regular phone with VoIP?   That could explain why they don't put much efforts on ATA.  But... i would seriously doubt that people pay 250-300$ for a VoIP phone with a single chorded handset.

I'll give you my impression of the 232d as soon as i get it.

Thanks to both of you for your help.  

VIP Gold

Re: SPA3102, Incredibly slow

I wonder if i'm the only one who still use a regular phone with VoIP?

Of course no.

1. fax
  2. door phones
  3. elevator communicators
  4. data terminals like energy remote metering & control, fire and alarm sensors, data modems at all
  5. special phones for disabled users
  6. special phones for user with specific requirements (DECT phones, phones with recorder, ...)

I'm sure the list is not complete. Just what we have in our network. Such equipment can't be replaced by pure SIP technology easily. So we are using PAP2T to connect such king of equipment (and SPA504G for all other). And we wish the SPA112 will be production-ready before our stack of PAP2T become depleted.

Gold

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

Christian,

A little more information regarding your question:

Some of the Cisco ATAs have built in router functionality for the very rare cases where the customer does not have a router. Since the ATA would be connected directly to the DSL/Cable modem, the customer would have no place to plug in a computer.

The router in these devices is rarely used and it is recommended to use an external router or router/modem from the ISP for best performance. If another router is available, the ATA should ALWAYS be connected behind that router, not directly to the modem. This is especially true if there is more than one PC or other device on the LAN.

- Marty

SPA3102, Incredibly slow

Hello Christian,

those devices (spa2102, 3102) are older technology, and do not have high router performance.

testing in the lab shows less than about 5 mbps.

the spa122 and 232d ( the replacement for the spa3102 ) will do about 11-15 mbps.

You are right, if you're looking for better performance, use a dedicated router in front of the ATA

or the next step up in this line is the SRP500 series.

The spa3102 is a pretty good voip device, supporting fax, pstn gateway, voip gateway, etc.

Dan is right tho, if a device is provisioned by a VOIP provider, and locked down, it is difficult or (if they did it right) impossible to unlock without the password or the provider unlocking it.

dlm...

Re: SPA3102, Incredibly slow

I've already got my 232d.  M. Miley, you were right. I've setuped it as a router just for curiosity.  The maximum i've got is 11.76 Mbps for download, and 0.99 Mbps for upload (My connection is a 20 Mbps/1 Mbps, so the 0.99 is just normal for me).  By the way, i've reached 11.76 Mbps, but the speed test was really flaky...   (going up to 12 Mbps, then down to 8 Mbps, then up, then down...  pretty unstable).

Now i've setuped my old router as a router, and set th 232d just like any other device on the network.  

I'm able to give or receive calls on both lines easily, my regular phone work just fine, and the DECT phone linked to it is also working fine.

Time & Usage will tell if that was a good purchase.  At least i can setup QOS for this device with high priority in my router.  Previously i was using the 3102 with High Priority, and my PC had Blink Softphone with my 2nd number on it, with high priority too, but it was causing serious headaches.

So thanks all for your help. 

P.S: I don't know if we can select "multiple answers" or "assistance" on this forums, so forgive me if i'm doing it wrong

Views
Helpful
Replies