cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA3102: New firmware (5.2.13) not recognising incoming landline calls

jthurgood
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SPA3102 which I have configured for use here in the UK. It is connected to my ADSL router/modem for VoIP calls and to a BT landline for other calls; all was working well.  I recently upgraded the firmware from 5.2.10 to 5.2.13.  After the upgrade, I noticed that the telephone handset plugged into the SPA3102 no longer rang on incoming pstn/landline calls; I have a second phone connected directly to the land line which did ring.  After a call the "last caller number" on the info tab shows blank, it seems that incoming calls were not being recognised by the SPA3102.

I reverted to the previous firmware version (5.2.10) and made no other changes; the SPA3102 then started to behave as before; i.e. it recognised incoming landline calls, rings the attached phone and updates the "last caller number".

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this behaviour?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jeff

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe I can duplicate your problem on my SPA3102.  The key is the message in the trace

Mar 27 16:38:12 192.168.1.5 [1]Change Pref Codec to 0 Failed

and that the rest of the trace log posted does not show that an internal call (inside the SPA3102) was sent to the phone attached to Line 1.

You have the PSTN Line Tab configured with

Preferred Codec: G711a

Use Pref Codec Only:: Yes

The SPA3102 wants to send an internal call from the PSTN Line Tab to the Line 1 Tab using codec G711u.  The codec change failed, the call failed.

A work around is to set Use Pref Codec Only: No (on the PSTN Line Tab).

Your configuration is otherwise pretty stright forward.  You have do not have the PSTN-to-voip gateway enabled, but do have Ring Thru Line 1 Yes.  The PSTN Answer Delay is set to 60 seconds so an incoming pstn line call should ring thru to the phone attached to the SPA3102 Line 1.

View solution in original post

Thank you for spotting that in the syslog - I had missed it!  Making that one change solves the issue.  I seem to remember that I set the "preferred codec" to "G711a" and "use preferred codec only" to "yes" in order to try to reduce the echo problem that sometimes occurrred.  I have now set both values back to their default ("G711u" and "No") and all works just as it should.

I notice in the release notes that 5.2.13: "Fixed an issue in which the preferred codec setting was ignored. (CSCtt70062)", and now I wonder whether that means that support for codec G711a has been removed.  No matter, at least everything works again as it should.

Thank you once again for your help

Jeff

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, try "small business - ATA and gateways". You can move post using the control panel on the right.

Check the setting on PSTN Tab - PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup - then Under

PSTN Ring Thru Line 1:YES

it should work.

regards

Thanks for the suggestion but PSTN Ring Thru Line 1is already set to yes.  If it were set to no, I would expect the failure-to-ring behaviour to occur with both firmware versions (5.2.13 and 5.2.10) but the problem only occurs wityh 5.2.13.

Jeff

I would try to troubleshoot the problem to determine if it is the phone ringing circuit or the audio circuit itself that doesn't work?  Do outgoing calls to the PSTN Line work OK?  If you answer the phone when it should be ringing can you talk on the circuit?  Have you tried a different phone instrument?  A debug trace might also show some useful information.

The SPA3102 Regional Tab has variables for ring waveform, frequency, and voltage for ringing your phone instrument.  I would try changing the Waveform, Frequency, and voltage to see if it makes any difference with your phone?

The Cisco ATA Administration Guide says the following:

IMPORTANT: Ring and Call Waiting tones don’t work the same way on all phones.

When setting ring tones, consider the following recommendations:

• Begin with the default Ring Waveform, Ring Frequency, and Ring Voltage.

• If your ring cadence doesn’t sound right, or your phone doesn’t ring, change

your Ring Waveform, Ring Frequency, and Ring Voltage to the following:

- Ring Waveform: Sinusoid

- Ring Frequency: 25

- Ring Voltage: 80V

Voice tab > Regional page >

I see a UK discussion on another forum that says UK regionalization should be the following.  I don't know if it is valid or not but might be worth a try if you are using a U.K. phone instrument.

Ring Waveform: Sinusoid (though Trapezoid may help problematic phones to ring).

Ring Frequency: 25

Ring Voltage: 80 (You can use 70, if problems try 75, 80, 85, 90)

CWT Frequency: 425@-20

Synchronized Ring: Yes

The previous SPA3102 firmware that I had was v5.1.10 (19 Apr 2010).  I imagine the 5.2.10 was a typo error.

Thanks for some useful input.  I have managed to get a little further but haven't solved the problem. And yes, that was a typo, I did mean 5.1.10, sorry!

As you suggested, I conducted some tests with 5.2.13:

1. I can make outgoing PSTN calls successfully.
  2. If I try to anwer the phone (connected to the SPA3102) when it should be  ringing, I just get a dialling tone.
  3. A different telephone handset gives the same result.  But both handsets operate as they should when I revert to 5.1.10.
  4. A debug trace (at level 2) showed that an incoming call was recognised, the caller number was correctly identified, but the "last caller number" field on the voice info tab was not  populated. So it seems that the incoming call was not being processed completely. There was other stuff on the trace that I do not understand, I have attached a copy of  the syslog. 
  5. As regards the other settings you mention:

CWT Frequency is already set to 425@-20

And Synchronized Ring is Yes

Ring waveform is set to trapezoid, ring frequency is 20 and ring voltage is 85; I haven't tried changing them as they work with version 5.1.10, and the ringing sounds exactly as a UK phone should.

Using the new feature of 5.2.13 (http://ip_addr/admin/config.xml) I have obtained a dump of the config, which I have atached.

Jeff

What is the PSTN answer delay?

In the config is: 60

Can you decrease to 3?

Regards.

According to the SPA administration guide, that timer only controls the delay before the ATA auto answers the call, so setting it to 60 seconds allows plenty of time for a real person to answer it.  The words in the SPA guide are as follows::

PSTN to VoIP Call with and Without Ring-Thru

The PSTN caller calls the PSTN line connected to the FXO port. Ring-Thru is

disabled. After the call rings for a delay equal to the value in PSTN Answer Delay,

the VoIP gateway answers the call and prompts the PSTN caller to enter a PIN

number (assuming PIN authentication is enabled). After a valid PIN is entered, the

caller is prompted to dial the VoIP number. A dial plan is selected according to the

PIN number entered by the caller. If authentication is disabled, the default PSTN

dial plan is used. Note than the dial plan choice cannot be 0 for a PSTN caller.

NOTE A PSTN Access List in terms of Caller ID (ANI) patterns can be configured into the

ATA device to automatically grant access to the PSTN caller without entering the

PIN. In this case, the default PSTN dial plan is also used.

The same scenario can be implemented using Ring-Thru. When the PSTN line

rings, Line 1 rings also. This feature is called Ring-Thru. If Line1 is picked up before

the VoIP gateway auto-answers, it is connected to the PSTN call. Line 1 hears a

call waiting tone if it is already connected to another call.

Thanks for your thoughts though

Jeff

I believe I can duplicate your problem on my SPA3102.  The key is the message in the trace

Mar 27 16:38:12 192.168.1.5 [1]Change Pref Codec to 0 Failed

and that the rest of the trace log posted does not show that an internal call (inside the SPA3102) was sent to the phone attached to Line 1.

You have the PSTN Line Tab configured with

Preferred Codec: G711a

Use Pref Codec Only:: Yes

The SPA3102 wants to send an internal call from the PSTN Line Tab to the Line 1 Tab using codec G711u.  The codec change failed, the call failed.

A work around is to set Use Pref Codec Only: No (on the PSTN Line Tab).

Your configuration is otherwise pretty stright forward.  You have do not have the PSTN-to-voip gateway enabled, but do have Ring Thru Line 1 Yes.  The PSTN Answer Delay is set to 60 seconds so an incoming pstn line call should ring thru to the phone attached to the SPA3102 Line 1.

Thank you for spotting that in the syslog - I had missed it!  Making that one change solves the issue.  I seem to remember that I set the "preferred codec" to "G711a" and "use preferred codec only" to "yes" in order to try to reduce the echo problem that sometimes occurrred.  I have now set both values back to their default ("G711u" and "No") and all works just as it should.

I notice in the release notes that 5.2.13: "Fixed an issue in which the preferred codec setting was ignored. (CSCtt70062)", and now I wonder whether that means that support for codec G711a has been removed.  No matter, at least everything works again as it should.

Thank you once again for your help

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: