cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA8000 DEAD PORTS

jdpuentes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I would like to know if there is any reason why an SPA8000's port would die suddenly without any change of configuration. I have 6 of these ATAs, some perfectly working FXS died from the sudden, and I wasn't able to get a dial tone again nor make the phone in that port ring. I have been using some free ports to remediate the problem, but I am afraid I will run out of ports soon as they are failing one by one.

When a port dies, it will not give any dial tone, but the server sees it as a registered peer and it will also send the call as if it is perfectly online except the phone will not ring. I am working with Asterisk

8 Replies 8

Andrey Cassemiro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Juan,

Are the FXS ports connect directly to the Analog Phones or are they connect through wall jacks?

One possible problem could be electrical sources near from the Phones or wall jacks.

Regards.

Andrey Cassemiro.

I am facing the same problem.

Are you at the latest firmware version for the device?  The latest is 6.1.3. If you are not at the latest I would suggest that you upgrade

to the latest firmware. If you continue to have problems with the dead ports then I would ask that you place a call into our Cisco

Small Business Support Center. This way we can further troubleshoot with you on your problem and hopefully get a resolution for you.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center

RIROE -

Good luck with the small business support center. They will only help you if the product is still under warranty or under a support contract. Thanks again small business product line and support. The device dies 2 months after the warranty expires...I simply asked the small business support team to help me figure out if the ports were actually dead so I could buy a replacement or get a contract. If it was a configuration error, I would like to think the support purchased on the UC device would help cover parts of that.

So basically, your deflection of the issue to "call SB support" is only valid if they will talk to you.

Now I get to tell the customer I sold them a POS Cisco product. I get to look bad in front of the customer, and then I get to deal with SCC to try to figure out what kind of support contract is need for a $200 product.

I am having the same problem. Ports 1 and 8 are working as expected. Ports 2 through 7 do not ring the directly connected device nor provide dial tone to the directly connected device. All ports show registered in the UC520 CLI and the Linksys GUI show the ports ringing when the extension associated to the ports is rung.

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

I have experienced this problem before on Port 1 and Port 8 of 2 separate devices... No dial tone from the source.. Lines are registered this happened out of the blue.. Both currently are still in a working environment using 7 of the 8 ports has any one done a factory restore and found the issue to be resolved?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Jim Dyck
Level 1
Level 1

We have had failures with 3 different SPA8000's - 1 under warranty and two others just outside of warranty.

I don't have warranty on a living unit at this time so support won't talk to me about the failures. With 3 failures i should not expect different results with another - especially if support won't talk to me.

jeffwong2014
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem for port 1 (suddenly), ports 2 to 8 are working well.