eseefaniab
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The Spa122 datasheet says it´s upgradable to IPv6,

but I have not been able to find any documentation on the procedure

to do so.

Does it really work with IPv6? Do I have to purchase a license to have

this feature enabled or does it come with the purchase of the product?

Where is this upgrade procedure documented? How can I do it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, it is upgradable to IPv6 by IPv6-ready firmware. As far as I know, there is no such firmware released yet. And if I can express my personal opinion, it will not be released in near future (few years).

According IPv6 upgrade option mentioned in datasheet, read

#Document_Reference_Lost_See_Note_bellow

(old, but I wish it apply even for newest devices)

and

IPv6 Support for SPA series devices?

(after unfulfilled promise the IPv6 is on the roadmap for year 2012 Cisco strictly follow the law of silence about IPv6)

But, on the other side, I would like to ask you - are you going to connect SPA on publicly accessible IP addresses ? I consider it dangerous approach even on IPv4.

------

Note: This comment has been originally created on 2013-07-17 21:23:51 GMT. During Jive -> Drupal migration Cisco has damaged their content thus reference is missing. Even I as author of the comment don't know what document has been referenced here. Only Cisco can restore the original content.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, it is upgradable to IPv6 by IPv6-ready firmware. As far as I know, there is no such firmware released yet. And if I can express my personal opinion, it will not be released in near future (few years).

According IPv6 upgrade option mentioned in datasheet, read

#Document_Reference_Lost_See_Note_bellow

(old, but I wish it apply even for newest devices)

and

IPv6 Support for SPA series devices?

(after unfulfilled promise the IPv6 is on the roadmap for year 2012 Cisco strictly follow the law of silence about IPv6)

But, on the other side, I would like to ask you - are you going to connect SPA on publicly accessible IP addresses ? I consider it dangerous approach even on IPv4.

------

Note: This comment has been originally created on 2013-07-17 21:23:51 GMT. During Jive -> Drupal migration Cisco has damaged their content thus reference is missing. Even I as author of the comment don't know what document has been referenced here. Only Cisco can restore the original content.

We do have security measures in place.

We want to adopt ipv6 in the near future in the organization, so we want to be ready fot it, having

compatible equipment, which doesn´t seem like it´s gonna be Cisco equipment.

Thanks for the info

Are you going to create IPv6 only network ? I never heard about such network in production, but it may happen. Well, then it seems you are out of luck with Cisco.

Are there any news about IPv6 with SPA122? 

No, as far as I know.

And there is still no strong reason to support IPv6 in an ATA, in my humble opinion. In the fact I don't expect the IPv6 will be supported before EOL.

There is a strong reason, if u have ipv6 only.

Very very weak from Cisco (after 5 years oO). Guess have to buy another brand.

True. But IPv6 only networks are very very rare. So it may be so expensive for very little benefit to implement IPv6.

But I'm not speaking for Cisco. It's my humble opinion.

Feel free to wait for answer from Cisco. Although your chances are rather low - Cisco is keeping law of silence regardless IPv6 ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: