Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP adapter same line with two VOIP provider

davidcasal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I want buy a VOIP adapter and I need to know if models I'm watching allow this feature:

- configure in 1 line 1 VOIP provider for outgoing calls and other different one VOIP provider for incoming calls

For the moment I'm watching: CISCO SPA112 and LinksysSPA3102

I think they are not allowed for the feature I want.  if not , do you know any model that allow this feature

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ok, you're going to use an analogue handset.  And you want one VSP to do outgoing and another VSP to do incoming call. 

Well, I've got an SPA 122 at home.  And if I recall correctly, I can't configure what you want.  However, I also have an Asterisk call server.  And with an Asterisk call server, I can configure a dialing plan.  Which basically does what you are doing.

My SPA 122 talks to my Asterisk and Asterisk talks to my two VSP.  All outgoing calls go to VSP 1 and all incoming call goes to VSP 2.  However, if VSP 1 is engaged and I want to make a separate call, my new call will go through VSP 2.  

I also have two Cisco IP handset and they also talk to the Asterisk box.  The Asterisk "box" is an inexpensive Raspberry Pi (costs in total about <US$75).  Asterisk is freeware.

View solution in original post

Be aware that Asterisk is a CLI-based systems.  People have incorporated several GUI versions to make Asterisk palatable.  

FreePBX and Trixbox are two of the GUI-based Asterisk.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Comment removed.  Incorrect recommendation made.  

And with your proposal of usinf spa122, is it possible to configure incomings and outgoing details with different vsp configuration for same line? My objectiveis to have a single telephone and avoid to have different phones for incoming and outgoing calls....maybe it's not possible

And with your proposal of usinf spa122, is it possible to configure incomings and outgoing details with different vsp configuration for same line?

Comment removed.  Incorrect recommendation made.  

Maybe I'm not explain it properly. 

I'd like for a single telephone:

- outgoing calls: use freevoipdeal. good rates but it seems that it doesn't offer me the possibility of a local phone number associated. Therefore it seems good for outgoing calls.

- incoming calls: netelip, offer me a phone number of my local area, therefore it can be very good to receive calls from other people that use conventional phone (PSTN). The problem is that call rates are worst that freevoipdeal.

I know that I can have two different lines, it's the easy way to do but it implies to have at least two different phones. 

I was reading other forums and someone told that it was possible to configure in a single line a different provider for incoming calls and other for outgoing calls. 

Now I've read more and I think that it's only possible with some IP phones that allow to configure several lines, receive calls from all and select what line to use for calling. 

Do you think that this is only possible with IP phones?

Please see my previous comment.  I think I made an incorrect recommendation without asking what kind of handset you are using.  

The SPA 112/122 or the SPA 3102 is an analogue telephone adapter.  The main role is to convert the signals from an analogue phones (which couldn't understand IP telephony) into IP.  

So what I'd like to ask you is this:  Are you planning to use analogue handset or IP handset.

I'm planning analog handset + adapter, because I have analog handset and adapter are not too expensive.

But I want something similar that I propose (different VoIP provider for incoming and outgoing calls). If this solutions is impossible with analogue handset, I could replan and think about using IP handset.

I'm in studing phase about my possibilities

Ok, you're going to use an analogue handset.  And you want one VSP to do outgoing and another VSP to do incoming call. 

Well, I've got an SPA 122 at home.  And if I recall correctly, I can't configure what you want.  However, I also have an Asterisk call server.  And with an Asterisk call server, I can configure a dialing plan.  Which basically does what you are doing.

My SPA 122 talks to my Asterisk and Asterisk talks to my two VSP.  All outgoing calls go to VSP 1 and all incoming call goes to VSP 2.  However, if VSP 1 is engaged and I want to make a separate call, my new call will go through VSP 2.  

I also have two Cisco IP handset and they also talk to the Asterisk box.  The Asterisk "box" is an inexpensive Raspberry Pi (costs in total about <US$75).  Asterisk is freeware.

This is perfect. I think it's a good solution. I read many people talking about Asterisk but I dind't know how to intall it. 

RaspberryPi is a good solution. I will try to get one and learn something about Asterisk

Thank you very much

Be aware that Asterisk is a CLI-based systems.  People have incorporated several GUI versions to make Asterisk palatable.  

FreePBX and Trixbox are two of the GUI-based Asterisk.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: