Views
Helpful
Replies

Who has an SPA122 ? For alarm system ?

fa355115
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am looking for SPA122 users who may help me understand if that would fit my needs.

My home alarm system needs a standard analog line ... I have no anymore but VoIP instead ...

Would the box do the job ?

Many thanks !

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've got a home alarm and an SPA 122.  The SPA 122 is registered to an Asterisk and goes out as a VoIP to my provider.  

The difficult part is the setup but once that's done, it's all good. 

Please don't forget to upgrade the firmware FIRST before starting with the configuration.

Thanks a lot ... so you have VoIP and no analog line, and have your SPA122 converting VoIP into analog then entering the alarm system ...

What alarm brand do you have ?

@fa355115 wrote:

so you have VoIP and no analog line, and have your SPA122 converting VoIP into analog then entering the alarm system ...

The SPA is to convert analogue to IP.  

?? I though the opposite ... in case you had VoIP and yoy want to connect analog devices like phone, alarm system etc ...

That's what it is. 

The Alarm system is analogue.  The SPA converts the analogue to IP.

ok ... thanks a lot ... for me converting is having something and transforming to something else.

I have VoIP and I had in mind the box would transform the VoIP into Analog.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Be very careful. There's nothing like "standard analog line". Exact line voltage, impedance, ring signal voltage and/or shape - all those parameters vary from country to country and even between telco operators.

Other user experiences may not apply to you. Your alarm may be unable to work with SPA122. Make sure analog line parameters required by alarm in question are compatible with SPA122.

reymundo48
Level 1
Level 1

Hey fa35515; 

I read your article about 2 weeks ago looking for an answer and I have been through about 20 different forums, support pages, everything! I was able to successfully get ..... now 3 Alarm lines fixed and operating off a Cisco SPA122 where as before my company did not previously offer that type of solution. 

The secret Sauce within the Line settings on FW:  Version 1.3.5 (004p)

Network Settings:

Network Jitter Level: Has worked on Both High/Extremely High

Jitter Buffer Adjustment: No

Audio Configuration: 

DTMF Tx Method: Inband+INFO (default is Auto)

DTMF Tx Mode: Normal (default is Strict)

I've also read through posts about T38 needing to be enabled and have it working when enabled and disabled so i will go ahead and label that as a setting that's not needed on an ATA for an alarm line to work. Also want to note that echo Cancellation set to: Yes does not impact the alarm line operation but also saw that setting thrown around in some forums. 

Again, i'm no alarm expert, SIP/VOIP engineer or even understand DTMF in it's entirety but these are the settings that worked for me. 

Cheers, 

RJ Maldonado 

Network Technician  

Thanks very much for posting the info, you helped me with a big headache.

Awesome @jdeschen - it definitely caused me a good month of headaches and testing! Glad it's still paying off for others, thanks for the Helpful badge - aka cisco street cred! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: