Views
Helpful
Replies

WRP400 stops responding after browsing certain websites

rgp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi support

We are a danish ISP who use Linksys RTP300 and WRP400 routers as CPE equitment. Trough our Danish Cisco contact (Henrik Bønnelycke) we have been told to discuss our prolems with the WRP400 router here.

Our problem is that the router seems quite unstable at many customers (who have no problem with RTP300). In the last few months we have been forced to replace a large amount of routes because the WRP400 just router stops responding (Cannot ping LAN+WAN interface, phone dead) while browsing certain websites fx. http://www.nordjyske.dk. At the time we are not able to repoduce the error here i the office and the problem are only at some customers.

At the begining we testet if the customers NIC was the source to the failure but as I see it it is not the case. We have tryid to exchange the customers NIS card and the problem was the same. Together with the fact that it works with a RTP300 router we must conclude something must be wrong with the WRP400.

From my point of view the problem could be related to the router content filter, activex filter or something like that when all the customers all have the problem on certain websites.

Please help we replaces 10-20 WRP400 routes every week right now and have no faith let for the WRP400 router.

Danmark.

René Gjerlev Pedersen

Driftstekniker

Bredbåndnord I/S

218 Replies 218

Hi René,

I have shared this information with Escalation Engineering, Product Management, and the Product Engineering team.

Aside from your reports, I've not yet seen this problem reported by others.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from the teams.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi René,

How are the WRP400 working now that you have modified some of the computers?

Are your customers experiencing any more lack of response from their WRP400? If so, how often is this happening?

Please don't forget that we still need the following from you in order to move forward with attempting to replicate in our labs:

1. Detailed steps on how to replicate the problem in 1.01.00

2. Backup file of the router configuration:
     Administration tab > Config Management tab > Backup > [save cfg file]

3. Backup file of the voice configuration:
     Voice tab > Admin Login > Browser's File > Save As WRP400.html

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

1. Detailed steps on how to replicate the problem in 1.01.00

We are not able to replicate the error in lab. As descripted early'er the problem is only at some customers who have the problem and we can sometimes remove the problem by tuning there PC. But we cannot make a PC at our lab replicate the error.

2. Backup file of the router configuration:

Done, attached this post
3. Backup file of the voice configuration:

Done, attached this post

Another thing is that we have around 40 costumers reporting problem with the phone. The problem is that when talking in the phone the WRP400 customer cannot hear the person they are talking to.

/Rene

Dear René;

Please note Patrick is on PTO. As soon as he comes back, he will continue with the case.

Regards
Alberto

Hi René,

Thanks for the information. I have forwarded it to the Engineering group for analysis.

Please let us know as soon as you are able to help us replicate the problem because our team cannot replicate the problem and have not received similar reports from other WRP400 deployments. This leads us to believe that the issue could be due to some local variable that we do not have in our testing environment.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

We try as hard as we can to replicate the issue but as I said before it is not easy to replicate when we only see the problem at customers. What about the voice issue where the WRP400 user cannot hear the person they are talking to. Do you have any reports from other WRP400 users about that ?

I reside in the US and have the same problem with my WRP400. Interestingly, I also have a Danish VOIP provider (Viptel). The sound will disappear during calls. Moreover, the internet is very unstable. Both Mac's and PC's will loose the internet from time to time. The Mac's that connects over wifi often reports "An error occurred while trying to join ``PM''. Please try again." 

Hi Reinhard,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

By "internet is very unstable", do you mean that Internet access is intermittent? As I understand from René, his customers' WRP400 locks up and has to be rebooted/replaced in order to restore Internet connectivity. Is this what you're experiencing?

When the Macs WiFi connection fails, does it come back on its own, or is some type of intervention required?

Have you noticed any types of patterns that appear to cause these problems? We've not been able to replicate René's customers' issues, so anything you can offer will be most appreciated.

How is your WRP400 connected to the Internet? A diagram would be great.

How much traffic do you believe the WRP400 is handling? Are you streaming video, file sharing, or anything similar?

Can you please use Wireshark to capture network traffic so Engineering can analyze events when an interruption occurs?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi

We are still not able to reproduce the error here at Bredbaand Nord. But we have now been at a customer and make quite a few tests. In this post i'll try to explain what we saw. All test results will be provided in the attached .zip file. The .zip file includes router and voice configuration backups.

Customer complain:

Our customer with a phone connected to the WRP400 phone port hear 5-10 sek. of silence many times during conversation, even in a 5 minut conversation.

Bredbaand Nord test at the customer: (Router not restarted before tests, because it seems to remove the problem for at short while)

A college at the office calls the customer phone and places the phone mic. near a radio playing music. At the customer we now can hear the problem the customer complains about and we can make tests during the call.

We have placed e PC with WireShark between the WRP400 WAN port and the Ethernet port on the customer Fiber box. The wireshark dump provided in the WiresharkDump.pcap file. We can not seen any problem i that dump, it seems like packets arrives to the WRP400 WAN port even when the music in the phone is gone for 5-10 sek.

The Attached "Voicestatus.jpg" shows status from the WRP 400 doring the call. Notice no Packets lost/Error but Packets rechived is only ½ of Packets Sent.

The Attached "Pingtest.jpg" shows that the router stops responding to pings while the voice dropout occurs.

Without restarting the router we made a speed test at the line. The customer have a 10/10 Mbit fiber line but the router can only deliver ~0.5/0,5 Mbit and the sound in then VoIP call disapear totally during the speedtest.

Finally we logged in to the webinterface and disabled the QoS in the WRP400 router. After this change the router deliveret 10/10 Mbit and Voice is ok but this i not a long term solution we know the problem after a few hours is back. We suspect this short term solution just is because the router restarts when we change the QoS setting.

HELP, we se this at many customers.

/René

For several months I have had trouble with unstable WRP400 with cable modem connected on a Stofanet connection with dynamic ip. OS is Windows XP fully updated with latest patches.

Internet would stop responding and after doing repair of network connection in Windows XP, connection could normally normally be reestablished. Odd thing was that streamin radio and TV would not lose connection.

After looking around for a solution, I updated from firmware  1.00.6 to 2.00.05 and all problems are gone.Haven't had any loss of connection for more than a week now.

I understand. We have not been able to replicate the reported problem either.

I checked with the support team and they are not aware of any one-way audio issues with the WRP400, aside from the regular problems produced by using NAT where the ITSP does not deploy session border controllers.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick.

Just wanted to add to this thread, that our company, Telsome Profiber, is also experiencing this problem.

You should be able to run in to some people having heard about the Linksys WRP400 Voip problem at your
company, since we have also reported this to you guys ;)

The problem occurs every minute for about 4-5 seconds, when some of our customers use their phone.
The voip problem didn't exist on the RTP300 models, however, it seems most or at least a significant
number of the wireless Linksys WRP400 are having problems with voip.

I'll be sending you as well as the rest of the involved parties an email today, just for you to keep an eye out for :)

Friendly Regards
Thomas Jensen

The fix at this time is to disable the QOS feature of the router.  Thank you.

I've already tried this.  Didn't seem to help the issue....

We have also tryed to disable QoS with no succes.

/René

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: