Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Failover options in my design?

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Team,

i (Company Z) learning BGP routes from my Client A from two places on my two seperate Data Center Routers. i need to redistribute those routes into my internal MPLS.

currently i am doing manually statically redistributing all BGP routes from Primary BGP routes into my MPLS cloud and in case Primary BGP with Client A fails i manually remove all routes and start redistributing same routes from my Backup data center into my MPLS cloud.

What are my options to make it auto failover . any suggestions?

Attached is diagram for illustration, any sort of hints would be welcomed.

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This setup typically requires a layer2 on the DC side connection. It would make life a lot easier to be able to run ibgp over this.

As this is not present the most viable scenario seems to be floating static routes.

This implies you must redistribute bgp from primary using a dynamic protocol

If these routes disappear from the routing table, the floating static routes can replace them.

regards,

Leo

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi there

how the routers in each DC connected to the MPLS cloud learn company A routes ? is it via ibgp or you have static route pointing to the edge router that use ebgp with company A in each DC ?

if the later is the case then you can keep redistribute the static routes but by using ios object tracking where you can track peer availability or a route in the routing table

for example you can advertise a dummy route from the primary data center over the MPLS cloud to be received by the backup DC router over the MPLS link

in the back DC router you can watch this route, once these route disappeared from the routing table a track can be brought to up state that is associated with static route of company A and then they will be redistributed into BGP over the MPLS

this can autoomate what are you doing manulay

see these links that cloud help you

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3425580#3425580

http://blog.ioshints.info/2007/08/install-static-route-when-ip-address-is.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

hope this help

Hello marwanshawi,

This looks to be an option, i will check on this thank you very much.

lgijssel,  Thank you for your input,

Hello Team,

I just triggered an idea from online search, what if i create a BGP session in Z Primary Data Center between company Z MPLS Router and edge router connecting to company A. and then all routes will go to my MPLS cloud itself since BGP already running in MPLS cloud of company Z, and simillar i can do from company Z backup data center with higher AS_Path.

is it an option?

is it possible to create EBGP across ASA?

will my friewall rules/NAT keep working as before?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: