Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

I need help with Cisco IFS

All,

Background Information:

I am a network engineer and I manage a small business network. The network consists of a couple of 3750G access switches and 2 6503-E switches (one of these also serves as an access layer switch). I am looking to upgrade my IOS on my external facing switch so that I can use a 16 port 10Gbe ethernet module. In this switch, I have a SUP-720 3B in slot 1, a 16 fiber port 10Gbe ethernet moduld in slot 2 (not online yet), and a 48 copper port 1Gbe ethernet module. In the SUP-720, I have one CompactFlash card in disk0.

This is where I need help:

Like I said, I'm trying to upgrade my IOS software in order to support my new ethernet line card. I know that the images are stored in flash memory. However the IFS on my switch seems to be confusing. He is a print out of the cd ? command:

bootflash:

cns:

const_nvram:

dfc#3-bootflash:

disk0:

disk1:

flexwan-fpd:

null:

nvram:

sup-bootdisk:

sup-bootflash:

sup-image:

sup-microcode:

syslog:

system:

tar:

tmpsys:

<cr>

Can someone please tell me what all of these directories are used for???? I'm not sure where to store the IOS image. When I change directories to sup-bootflash: it looks like it has the same contents as sup-bootdisk. Also, when I list the contents in disk0:, sup-bootflash shows up in there. Is this just a soft link to that directory? I'm really confused and would like to know what all of these directories are used for. Does anyone know of a good white paper that explains the function of these directories?

Thanks,

Manny

Everyone's tags (3)
1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

I need help with Cisco IFS

Manny

I am not prepared to try to explain all the directories, which is a pretty good question. But I can answer the most important of your questions. Put the new image into sup-bootflash.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies