Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5000 as core switch

Hello,

I am studying the nexus solution, and I consider them to implement a  small data center. The requirement are quite simple, no service layer  (FW, NAM, etc.) and basic OSPF and RIP capability.

The idea is using nexus 5k with layer 3 capability as core switching in  single homed topology with 2 or 3 nexus 2k. Now on the design guide the  nexus 5k and 2k are considered as access and aggregation layer. There is  any caveats by using them as core switches ?

I would appreciate your opinion, thank you really much.

Bye

Antonello

2 Replies 2

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

One thing to consider using this model is availability.

If your N5K fails then you will also lose your N2K's as well. As a result you lose your whole data centre.

As an alternative you might want to consider hanging some independent switches off your N5K like a 3750X to cater for  this eventuality.

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Antonello

There are no caveats in using n5k as a core.

This decision should depend from network requirements: bandwidth, delay, performance, port density.

For the redundany I would suggest you to get the second n5k and configure vpc with conecting all fexes to both n5k.

And in case of failure of one nexus the second will continue working with fexes.

HTH,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: