Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco ASR 1k Bash bug

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCur02734

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140926-bash

The ASR 1k running 15.4(1)S based on this bug id shows that it's vulnerable to bash bug. Is there anymore information on this and is there a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is following software version

Is following software version affected by this bug?

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(1)S1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

5 REPLIES

Thanks Bedevere for looking

Thanks Bedevere for looking into this for me.  I know you can get to bash shell after enabling "system internal" on the ASR platform.  To do this however you need to be authenticated first.  Anyone have any idea if this exploit can be leveraged without being authenticarted to the router?

Good point and also, we would

Good point and also, we would have to enable "platform shell". If we disable platform shell, would this work as a workaround?

Is following software version

Is following software version affected by this bug?

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(1)S1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I'm not aware of any fix yet.

I'm not aware of any fix yet. However, accessing the linux shell on ASR requires authentication and as long as that is secured, you should be fine. Cisco would probably have to modify their code to upgrade the bash program to the latest one that is not impacted by this bug. 

Would this vulnerability

Would this vulnerability include "3.12.0.S-154-2.S-std.bin". It seems so, but I want to be sure that I'm reading the bug right. Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies