Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CSCud17778 - memory leak in middle buffers due to snmp traps

The bug details list these as the conditions required to cause the symptom.  They don't specify whether these three conditions are an AND or an OR, but I'm assuming that all three must be satisfied:

Conditions:

1) more than one snmp-server hosts are configured

2) "snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart" command is configured

3) some host sending broadcast SNMP traps

What I'm confused about is #3 -- how would that be germane?  If some "host" sends SNMP traps to an IP broadcast address, the switch should ignore them because it will not be listening on UDP port 162.  If instead of SNMP traps, the host were broadcasting SNMP GETs, that would make it as far as the community string check, which would require buffer storage for the switch SNMP process.  And assuming that check failed, the generation of an authentication_failed trap to multiple trap receivers would require more buffers.

Can anyone (especially from the TAC) clarify this?

TIA,

- Marty

• Cisco Bug Discussions
Everyone's tags (3)
1 REPLY
Silver

CSCud17778 - memory leak in middle buffers due to snmp traps

Hi Marty,

Yes, all 3 are required (AND conditions).

Also note for #2, it is really the "authentication" portion of the command.

In this case, I believe the IOS devices is actually looking / listening to these received traps.  The receipt of this SNMP trap is definately a required condition to trigger this bug.

Sincerely,

David.

Views
Helpful
Replies