Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Phone 7962 Freezes on Power-Up

I have a few 7962 IP Phones that have stopped working.  When they start to power-up they stall and only the Speaker light remains on, no other indicators.  I have tried to do a Hard Factory Reset but the phone doesn't respond.

Has anyone seen this and been able to fix it, or are these phones toast?

Situation:  Our facility had a scheduled power outage for maintenence.  The MDFs & IDFs were shutdown properly prior to the outage.  The business day following the outage I had six 7962 phones that displayed the issue described above.  I checked the whole building and all the phones are good except for these six which happened to be all connected to the same IDF.

Thoughts?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello Micah,  Thanks for submitting your question!  This forum is for discussing specific bugs. What you describe is not a known bug to the best of my knowledge. I suggest approaching this from a troubleshooting perspective by either posting to the phone forum or opening a TAC case.   Conceptually the phones run firmware on the device. Initiating a hard reset deletes local firmware and the network has to be configured correctly to allow phones to download an initial load. A packet capture would help to isolate the problem with the phones.  Alternatively you might consider just RMA'ing the phones if they are covered under a contract and that is easier for you.  Regards, Wes

Wes,

Regardless of what forum this is for, are there any other troubleshooting options before creating a TAC case over 1 phone set? Has anyone seen/heard of this happening? The phone I had was in production, not upgrading or anything, unplugged the ethernet, then simply tried to plug back in. I've tried everything to wake this thing up to a reset. Can't get it off the speakerphone being lit. (blank screen)

-Randy

Cisco Employee

Randy,  You can look at a packet capture of traffic originating from the phone. You can connect to console and look at output. You can soft/hard reset the phone. Most likely the firmware got corrupted and you can hard reset it, with the appropriate network setup and files on UCM TFTP server, and recover it.  The phone is like a PC in the enterprise; only cheaper.  -Wes

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content