Helpful
Replies

Observations on BST - Bug Search Tool

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Christine, Sam & all,

First off, I wanted to say THANKS to the whole Bug Search team for their

continued hard work in making BST a great online tool!!

I am looking for other community members to add their BST likes/dislikes to this thread

in hopes of providing data to the BST team so these improvements can continue

- Version choices in Communications Manager and Unity Connection are not honored.

For example, if I go through Voice & Unified> IP Telephony> Unified Communications

Platform> Communications manager> Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 9.1

There will be 44,535 results (????) then I have to input 9.1 again in the "Releases" box and

I then receive the correct 754 results. So BST is not honoring the original choice of

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 9.1. This is the same for all versions as well

as Unity Connection choices.

- IP phone 8900 series bugs are actually all listed under the 6900 series

(????). If you don't know this trick you can never find any bugs related to the 8900 series. These are two distinct

product lines and the bugs should be sorted accordingly.

- ? Help Button

This is a very trivial thing but it can be annoying when using BST on a daily basis. Any time you hover

over the ? - Help Button the following pop-up appears;

Help

You can search by Bug ID or Keywords in this field.

Keywords will search for text matches in the following sections of a bug:

• headline/title
  • release note text
  • product
  • known affected releases/ known fixed releases

Could this be moved or deleted in a future release/build? After you've seen it for the 100th time

it becomes somewhat useless.

Cheers! And thanks again!

Rob

"Your life is worth much more than gold." 

- Bob Marley

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey folks,

Another thing I've noticed in the last week is the "complete" change

in product choice locations/terminology.

This is not very user friendly and I'm unsure why Cisco makes these type of changes

right in mid-stream?? You just get used to finding products via specific method and then

they go and change everything around

It's already pretty cumbersome and now it doesn't make much sense either......

Who came up with "Mid-Market Call Control" ....................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Just sayin!!

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

Thanks Rob for taking time to provide valuable feedback. Want to assure you that we will be working with the respective teams to share your concerns on the the bug search results as well as the product nomenclature. We will take your inputs into consideration as we continue to enhance the tool.. Keep the feedback coming!

I think the new tool is a bit confusing and not that user friendly unless I'm misunderstanding something.

If I want to search for ASR 1000 router if I type ASR I only get ASR 900. I don't see ASR 1000. If I type ASR 100 then I see ASR 1000 but not 1002 and so on.

Also I want to be able to search for a specific IOS version directly without specifying the platform, if that is possible.

Sometimes when searching for an IOS version you get strange results like

• 15.0(2)SE×

Otherwise I think it's a step in the right direction.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel,

Thanks for your inputs on the product search. It picks the top 10 results currently and thats why you don't see ASR 1000 when you type in ASR. Defnitely an area that we are tracking for improvement based on your and other user's inputs.

Regarding the IOS versions, we are aware of this issue and are working to put a fix in our upcoming release. I will get back to you when this is resolved.

Thanks again for your time and inputs to help improve the BST tool.

Kavita

Daniel,

The issue you had reported before is fixed now.

Sometimes when searching for an IOS version you get strange results like

• 15.0(2)SE×

Thanks for taking the time to point this out.

Cheers!

Kavita

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kavita,

Thanks for responding to this thread my friend. I will

continue to add feedback now that I know it may be serving some

purpose here and that someone from the BST team is following up

And thanks to Daniel as well for adding his observations! With the

upcoming deprecation of BTK I think it's important to fine tune BST

as much as possible.

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

Robin Burns
Level 1
Level 1

1. When I use this link, it looks like the detail page for that bug [tho' it does not actually include the latest info, it looks like it does].

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCuj81089

If I use bugsearch, enter the specific bug number and hit return, I am taken to this page:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuj81089

which looks like a dead search result.  All I see is a title of the bug -- no details, symptoms/conditions/workaround etc.  Seems like this page ought to have all details. (see #2.)

2. The pop-up view that appears when you roll over a keyword search result is slick, but only as a preview.  Once I've found the bug I need, I want to click on it so I can work with it without it appearing/disappearing as I mouse around.

Robin,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your inputs.

The first link you used has some issues. We are retiring this application. The new bug application is called the Bug Search Tool (the second link in your post). Please use the new application going forward and update your bookmarks as well.

Regarding the second url you pasted for bug search, I am able to see all the details. Could you please send me screen shots of that bug via email kjotwani@cisco.com? I will then look into it further.

For the pop-up preview window, the bug title is in blue and clickable. It appears on the header area of the pop-up with a black background. Clicking that link will take you to the Bug detail page. Since this was not intuitive, I will take that feedback back to the team.

Thanks

OK, sending screen shots shortly.  I think clicking the blue title text is intuitive - it's the result I'm seeing that's confusing.